Thread: Felder KF700, took the plunge

Felder KF700, took the plunge

Today I went to look at a 2001 KF700S Professional, and brought it home (6.5 hours each way + bathroom breaks). Here it is about to back into the shop
    saw2.jpg
    and then inside.
    saw1.jpg

If I move everything out of the way the trailer just fits inside, which is good since it started to lightly rain 5 min after I got it in. Just above the trailer the sharp eyed might see my lift point. I and my sons built the building 20+ years ago, when I still pulled wrenches on my (and kids) cars; I thought I might have to pull an engine one day and overbuilt that location just for that reason. I never did pull and engine (here) but have loaded and unloaded some heavy woodworking machines. I know that somewhere I saw a diagram of the lift points for a KF700S, but darn if I can find it. Does anyone have a pointer for me? The owners manual is mostly limited to "don't lift by the table!", which I already knew. Until I find the directions I am not anxious to pick it up and perhaps invite disaster.

The machine came with 1.25", 30mm, and a router spindle + 3 collets of 13, 7, and 9.53 mm. I have an Incra router lift in a table so am unlikely to use that function, but fully intend to use the shaper. Once I get this set up there will be questions about tooling.
    There were also 2 Felder 12" blades (48 and 72 tooth), 12" Tenru rip blade (on the saw), a 10" Forest WW2, 2 scoring blades and some ZCI inserts.

Besides the manual there is a binder of Felder sales material dated mid 2000: Series 700 machines (37 pages), CF 731/CF741 (31 pages), series 700 Professional panel saws (47 pages), Dust extraction systems (27 pages), Tooling (105 pages), and Accessories (43 pages). The last 2 are quite interesting, not that all the options will still be available. Each of them has 3 wire "eyelets" sticking out of the spine, which clip into a standard 3 ring binder. There was also a loose sheet in the first with the Oct 2000 price list. Several machines, including this one, had prices crossed out and new ones written in (about 25% higher). Whether this was a 2001 price increase or the cost with extra options I don't know, but it likely tells me which machines the first purchaser was contemplating. The written number for this machine was $11644, which translates into $16970 today. The 7K I paid falls into the "1/2 to 1/3 of new" range; not a screaming deal but I think I'll be okay. The saw never served a business.

Comments welcome,
    Terry T.

Terry two years ago almost to the day I too was unloading a Felder k700 saw. My trip was slightly longer than yours but this brings back memories. I unloaded my saw off a flat deck trailer mostly by rolling it off with the assistance of a ramp purpose built with a sheet of one inch plywood with two helpers. You are going to love that saw,I would never want to be without mine now. There is no way I would ever go back to a cabinet saw. I am thinking to lift it I would use long slings under the whole machine,contact Felder and ask them. There is a Felder rep here on Sawmill Creek named Eric Loza,maybe PM him,pretty sure he would be happy to help.

Congrats! I had a K700S around that age. Amazing machine, the level of quality and performance was amazing.

Congratulations on your slider, after 20+ years of using a cabinet saw I purchased a Felder K500 last year. There is a learning curve, but I totally love using my slider and wouldn’t want to go back to a cabinet saw. There is a very helpful Felder user group at https://groups.io/g/felderownersgroup Good luck in getting it unloaded and setup and have fun.

Congrats! You're going to enjoy having that great machine in your shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Have fun, it’s really nice that you have the 30mm spindle as now you can share tooling between the saw and shaper, and of course most of the tooling in the world is metric....Regards, Rod

Congrats! They are great machines. Just one note, I moved mine several times in the last 10 years, and on one of the moves the table moved a little. No big deal to realign, but something to be aware of. Probably my fault for not getting a jam nut tight when I was fiddling with it previously, and for living on a terrible dirt road at that point.

The saw is now on the shop floor (intact). It looks pretty good after the move. The three major things I need to address are a shorter cross arm -- this came with the one that extends to 10 feet, and the shop's not big enough to keep walking around it --, power feeder mount, and shaper tooling. All of my 1/2 and 3/4" stuff for the Delta is no longer useful. This machine was 1/2 the cost of new, but one could make all that up in tooling if not restrained! As to the cross arm, I can always saw it off, but may try to figure out something less extreme.

Terry there is a power feed mount currently on the SMC classifieds. I would not cut the arm on your outrigger unless there is absolutely no other option. My K700 is just the saw,no shaper. I do have two shapers in my shop however. When it comes to shaper tooling go slow and buy as you need it, instead of trying to anticipate what you might need and buying first. There are a few very experienced shaper guys here on SMC that will answer questions when you need help/opinions. And yes tooling is expensive,but a lot of it is far more versatile than just one application so certain cutters get used a lot.Enjoy that machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kees View Post
    Terry there is a power feed mount currently on the SMC classifieds. I would not cut the arm on your outrigger unless there is absolutely no other option. My K700 is just the saw,no shaper. I do have two shapers in my shop however. When it comes to shaper tooling go slow and buy as you need it, instead of trying to anticipate what you might need and buying first. There are a few very experienced shaper guys here on SMC that will answer questions when you need help/opinions. And yes tooling is expensive,but a lot of it is far more versatile than just one application so certain cutters get used a lot.Enjoy that machine.
    Ha. Thanks Mike. Just got that feeder bracket off my saw after selling my feeder and realized the gas strut can be used on either side. Didn't know that. I PM'd with Terry about the power feeder. LOL Waiting to see if he wants it.

That 700 is sweet. Wish my 500 had included the ability to use a router spindle. That seems like a nice feature. Enjoy!

That router spindle alone was well over $500 back in 2000.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

A 7/2000 catalog was included, it shows the router spindle for $499, 13 different optional collets at 39.90 each. The 1.25 spindle was listed at $330.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Therneau View Post
    A 7/2000 catalog was included, it shows the router spindle for $499, 13 different optional collets at 39.90 each. The 1.25 spindle was listed at $330.
    That router spindle is now $912

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon View Post
    That router spindle is now $912

So essentially the price increased 3.5% each year, which seems to be right in line with inflation.
    Congrats on the saw! The hard work is done, enjoy it for a long time!

Congrats. Now that I know how to use the slider I would never go back to a cabinet saw. The learning curve is steep. There are some good videos on Youtube by a guy who uses a Martin saw. At this point I clamp the wood to the slider and run it through the saw that way for every cut possible. The quality of the cut when you do this is amazing. I have a 5HP Felder and I can rip the occasional 4/4 hardwood board with the high tooth count crosscut blade if I push hard to prevent burn. If ripping more than just a little bit a switch to a rip blade is worth the effort.

Also google Fritz and Franz jig, great way to use the slider for quick accurate crosscuts.

I have added air clamps and also parallel cutting bars for super accurate rips. You can make your own to save some money. For both, there are videos on youtube as well.