Thread: Christmas in May

Christmas in May

After much wringing of the hands and hours or deliberation among all the options out there, I’ve done my part for the economy and placed an order for a Lie Nielsen no. 4 bronze! Can’t wait to try it out!

Bronze. Nice. I had the bronze option in 2007 for their 4-1/2, but I didn’t go for it, to my regret. Enjoy!

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones 5443 View Post
    Bronze. Nice. I had the bronze option in 2007 for their 4-1/2, but I didn’t go for it, to my regret. Enjoy!
    Bob, thanks! Once I decided on this smoother I labored long over iron or bronze, which I like the benefits of each but the bronze just looks so impressive. I decided that half the reason for spending this kind of money for a plane was for the looks so I went with the bronze.

0A7E1D9D-CE93-4FC0-9807-DC301254D136.jpg
    It arrived! There Are plenty of old Stanley planes that can shave wood as good as this but it sure is a joy to use a tool that is so well designed to do a job and look so good doing it. I’ve never owned a new car and I’ve never never bought anything this nice for myself and I can’t say I have any regrets.

Enjoy! that's been my go-to for about a decade.
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra

I don't think you can go too far wrong with LN planes (IMHO). Years ago I bought their limited edition bronze LN 4-1/2 signed by Tom LN himself. I forget which number it was but it was at the high end of the 500 made.

It was a beautiful plane, but just not for me. It was heavy, and I was so used to the No. 4 that I rarely used it. 10 years later I needed money to pay for medical bills and sold it on the auction site. I put a buy it now price of $600.00 (about a hundred bucks more than it cost new) it was purchased within an hour! Probably I could've made more on it, but I was glad to get what I got.

I did buy the iron LN No 4. with rosewood knob and tote and use it every day. You will love your plane and despite the high cost you will smile every time you reach for it.

DC

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Robinson View Post
    After much wringing of the hands and hours or deliberation among all the options out there, I’ve done my part for the economy and placed an order for a Lie Nielsen no. 4 bronze! Can’t wait to try it out!

You will absolutely hate that plane. Save yourself the aggravation and send it to me for proper disposal.

(I want one, but always buy something else).