Thread: Removing tables on a vintage jointer

Removing tables on a vintage jointer

I'm restoring a 6" jointer (I'm guessing 40s or 50s), "Duro" brand. I am looking to use it, and I would like to take it apart and give it a clean, and failing that at least shim up the outfeed table. However, I'm having no luck removing the tables. In particular, the outfeed table not only cannot be removed, but also has no play to be shimmed (I can shim the infeed table but I'd rather not do that). I have removed all the screws and lowered the outfeed table to the lowest point.

Here are the photos of my project (with additional comments)

Anybody have any ideas?

Thank you

Have you tried unbolting it from the stand to get a good look underneath.
    Looks like a beefy small jointer.
    Aj

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Hughes View Post
    Have you tried unbolting it from the stand to get a good look underneath.
    Looks like a beefy small jointer.

I don't think there would be any other screws, as it should just be sitting on the gibs. Removing it from the stand would be onerous, so I won't do that just yet

You could try posting a question on the OWWM site. Those guys live and breathe Old Wood Working Machines.
    Too much to do...Not enough time...life is too short!

I just restored a 64' Rockwell/Delta 6" jointer. First remove the jointer from the stand. Remove the fence and lay the jointer upside down to access the bottom. There should be either set crews or roll pins holding the adjusting rods in place (this is what the hand crank is connected to). There should also be a "knuckle" that is held on with a shouldered bolt, this is what rides on the adjusting rod and controls the up and down motion of the bed. The screws you show in your pictures are gib screws, they control the amount of "slop" that is in the dovetail, there should also be gib plates that go in between the screws and the dovetail so the screws don't mar the dovetail, but put tension on it. Pm me if you have further questions.

I have taken the jointer off the bed, and I can't find any bolts or pins underneath it. In the absence of a better explanation, I'll have to assume that the outfeed table is already "loose", but there's no slop, although it moves well enough up and down the gibs.

Also, the outfeed table has been lowered to the point it has come off the threaded rod, and I can't put it back in, as because of the lack of slop, it won't move enough to engage the thread.

I have taken it onto my lawn and shaken all the sawdust out of it, so that there aren't any collected or caked on debris. I'll look to give it a good clean, before I hit it with some liquid wrench.

Here's a couple of pictures of the underside. Also, they are in this album https://imgur.com/a/pegItRe

20200516_150532.jpg20200516_150538.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Ryan Yeaglin View Post
    Pm me if you have further questions.
    Hi, thanks a lot for this tip! I've removed the jointer from the stand as a starting step. I tried to send a PM, but my account doesn't have that function.

That's the largest motor on the smallest jointer that I have seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Feng Huang View Post
    I tried to send a PM, but my account doesn't have that function.
    You can "fix" that by clicking on the "Donate" button up at the top of the page and becoming a Contributor. That will give you access to photos, private messages, the Classifieds and a few other things.

Jim
    Forum Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by William Hodge View Post
    That's the largest motor on the smallest jointer that I have seen.
    It's a part of a table saw/jointer combo. The tablesaw can use 2 horses. Jointer not so much, but should be ok