Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Sam's Club had lots of TP in stock today!

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I predict they will not repeat that next quarter, some (fill in whatever you want to call them) have a years supply in their garage. One can only hope that at the end of the day they do not profit from their greed.
    I agree their sales will probably be down for quite a while. In the end, it'll average out.

Why would you call a manufacturer making money off of panic buying "greed"? I'd bet their prices didn't go up to their large wholesale customers due to strict contracts. Their profit is probably a result of a large increase in demand and production volume to satisfy that demand. Would you expect a company to give it away or sell it for a loss or break even price? Further, IIRC the same article indicated the business lost money last year.

This company isn't the guy who ran into a local retail store, Costco or Sam's Club, bought a huge supply and is now hawking it curbside at the commuter train station for 20X retail price he paid. Sheesh!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I don't think sales will be down. The real estate agent " bonus room" is going to become " the toilet paper vault".
    The next reincarnation of "Gone With The Wind" will show Scarlet O'Hara ,fist in air, crying "...I will NEVER run out of
    toilet paper again !!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    I agree their sales will probably be down for quite a while. In the end, it'll average out.

Why would you call a manufacturer making money off of panic buying "greed"? I'd bet their prices didn't go up to their large wholesale customers due to strict contracts. Their profit is probably a result of a large increase in demand and production volume to satisfy that demand. Would you expect a company to give it away or sell it for a loss or break even price? Further, IIRC the same article indicated the business lost money last year.

This company isn't the guy who ran into a local retail store, Costco or Sam's Club, bought a huge supply and is now hawking it curbside at the commuter train station for 20X retail price he paid. Sheesh!
    Sorry I should have been clearer (I wondered if I should have been more precise ) I didn't mean the manufacturers, I meant the (I'll fill in the blank) greedy people who went in and bought hundreds of rolls of toilet paper leaving none on the shelf for others.

Went by Big5 sporting goods today and there was a long line of people outside. They were counting them, in and out. Must have been at least 10-15 people waiting. I saw no sale signs? Grocery store next door had no line when we went in.
    Bill D

Pretty common up here, even big box stores like Home Depot are limiting the number of people in the store to allow for social distancing. They even have pylons or markings on the ground to help keep 2 meters apart in the lineup outside.

Just about every store I have been to during the past week or two is tracking customers going in and out of the store and limiting customers if necessary. Menards a few weeks ago had a map of the store that stated 26 square feet per customer and that the store could handle over 7,000 customers! I wouldn't want to be in Menards with 7,000+ customers pandemic or not. They are now limiting to 500 customers.

I bought groceries at Walmart today and the TP section was about 1/2 full. They had some generic TP in a very plain 4 pack for 69 cents. I don't know if that is new or not as I don't normally buy TP at Walmart.

People per square foot is being enforced here for stores that are open, too, and yes, it's for social distancing, both in the isles as well as to make the checkout go more smoothly since there's usually limited space for folks to line up properly distanced. I've just adjusted my shopping times for food to compensate and generally have no line/no waiting as a result. I haven't been to Home Depot for a couple weeks now, choosing to get doo-dads at the local True Value store instead...although I wasn't happy with how I was treated in the paint department the other day when I needed a color match and they screwed up.. Otherwise, that store is generally great. Go figure.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A couple of weeks ago when TP was really scarce I saw a tv ad where a local new car dealership was offering a 6 pack of TP with every new car.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    Meat will be the next manufactured shortage. I read that our meat exports are at near record levels but somehow we'll not have enough for domestic distribution. Never let a crisis go to waste.
    It isn't so much a manufactured crisis as disruption at a scale beyond the distribution network's ability to absorb.

The problem around here is that some of the big processing plants have shut down due to COVID19 outbreaks, so there are plenty of hogs, but not enough places to send them to. Many are getting euthanized because they can't get processed in time. Kind of like the oil thing a while back where people were paying to have oil taken off of their hands. It is unfortunate all around; for farmers, workers, and the plant owners.

We are paying the price now for the savings of just-in-time efficencies in our economy. The just-in-time model isn't robust or redundant enough to compensate for extended or system wide disruption.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Elfert View Post
    Just about every store I have been to during the past week or two is tracking customers going in and out of the store and limiting customers if necessary. Menards a few weeks ago had a map of the store that stated 26 square feet per customer and that the store could handle over 7,000 customers! I wouldn't want to be in Menards with 7,000+ customers pandemic or not. They are now limiting to 500 customers.

I bought groceries at Walmart today and the TP section was about 1/2 full. They had some generic TP in a very plain 4 pack for 69 cents. I don't know if that is new or not as I don't normally buy TP at Walmart.
    The Riverdale Menards parking lot is Packed every time I've driven by it. Even at odd weekday times. I've avoided it.

I have not seen a cleaning wipe in a store since February. Toilet paper only recently has been pretty consistently partially stocked.
    Fortunately, we were able to get some Rescue (hydrogen peroxide concentrate for veterinarians) and make our own. And Walmart had some isopropyl alcohol last time I was in for the first time in a long time.

My question was not controlling the number of people in the store but why a demand for sporting goods. I saw a tv ad the other night for National Parks. Standard ad from before covid saying get out and see the parks, have fun be active. Fine and dandy but the parks are closed now. So who needs sporting goods enough to form long lines. All I can see is athletic shoes for walking/running by yourself or maybe home weight lifting/ treadmill etc. Maybe they are buying ice chests to store their hoarded meat?
    Bill D.

When the pandemic hoarding was just starting I asked the wife to pick up some peppercorns. Because we were completely out.

To pick up everything she had on her list she went to three stores. There was no black pepper in two of them and the third store only had them in those cheap plastic top grinders. Black pepper hoarding! Who'da thought?

Toilet paper seems to be back in the stores. Some stores have meat, some don't. A package of meat to make a meatloaf was $11, double the normal price.

-Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Seemann View Post
    It isn't so much a manufactured crisis as disruption at a scale beyond the distribution network's ability to absorb.

The problem around here is that some of the big processing plants have shut down due to COVID19 outbreaks, so there are plenty of hogs, but not enough places to send them to. Many are getting euthanized because they can't get processed in time. Kind of like the oil thing a while back where people were paying to have oil taken off of their hands. It is unfortunate all around; for farmers, workers, and the plant owners.

We are paying the price now for the savings of just-in-time efficiencies in our economy. The just-in-time model isn't robust or redundant enough to compensate for extended or system wide disruption.
    It can be absorbed, even if through alternate distribution.

I used to raise hogs. The disruption in the packing houses will amount to about three weeks. Three weeks means exactly zero in the marketability of a hog. Meat on the hoof isn't perishable. While our JIT model of raising and processing may target a hog of a particular weight for the sake of uniformity, a hog that's 15# heavier will butcher up just fine. Ask any country butcher. Anyone that would euthanize hogs because their schedule was being disrupted is an idiot.

I heard a great story on the news this week about a group that was dealing with actual perishable items like fruits and vegetables. The farmers were worried they'd need to "plow it under" because their normal distribution chain was disrupted. This group organized an alternate distribution chain that would pick the stuff up and deliver it to food banks, etc. That's better for the farmer too, as they don't need to spend resources plowing it under.

There are solutions to all these problems. We just need to realize we're bright enough to figure them out.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Bill, regarding why the sporting goods store has a line to get in - do they sell guns & ammunition there? Most of our sporting goods stores do, and gun stores are designated essential. They've been busy with curbside service the whole time.

Meat shortage. Three highest infection rate non-urban counties in Kansas are those with meat packing plants. The workers, especially the undocumented ones that are suddenly essential, are not happy.

I found some Clorox wipes at a Target store. They had maybe fifty 35 count containers between the Clorox and 7th Generation brands. I would be shocked if they aren't gone by the end of day.