Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sam's Club had lots of TP in stock today!

Sam's Club had lots of TP in stock today!

I went to Sam's Club earlier today and they had many pallets of TP in stock. In fact, it looked normal like before the great TP shortages of 2020. They had a good six or eight pallets of the big bales of TP and it was hardly touched. They were totally out of regular Kleenex which is what I wanted. I still have a few boxes, but I go through pretty regular if I am sick or not.

I don't understand when I see people posting online even now that they can't find TP anywhere. I go grocery shopping far too often during this pandemic and I usually check the TP aisle at Walmart to see how things are going. For the past two or three weeks Walmart has almost always had TP of some kind on the shelf although most of the time the shelves were less than 20% full. TP mills have been producing only certain brands and sizes of TP right now to maximize production so you may not see your favorite brand or particular package size on the shelf.

I did our weekly food shopping today and the market I've been patronizing had TP on the shelves...not a lot and it was actually in generic packaging. (We buy paper products from Costco and they are also back to normal with that like you saw at Sam's today)
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Well, there is some good news to report in all this panic buying.....our local paper mill owned and operated by Clearwater Paper reported a 10 million dollar profit last quarter. They manufacture TP and paper towels.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I never understood the panic to stockpile toilet paper..... shelves were empty for a while but for the last 3 weeks every store has tons of toilet paper... I think it's a thing where people read something online and believe it. There was never any need to stockpile toilet paper. If someone posted today that there was going to be a shortage of mustard then guess what shelves would be empty tomorrow?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Well, there is some good news to report in all this panic buying.....our local paper mill owned and operated by Clearwater Paper reported a 10 million dollar profit last quarter. They manufacture TP and paper towels.
    I predict they will not repeat that next quarter, some (fill in whatever you want to call them) have a years supply in their garage. One can only hope that at the end of the day they do not profit from their greed.

I wonder if the generic packaging is faster/cheaper to produce? Consumers aren't nearly as picky about what brand of TP right now and just about any TP is selling fast. (I actually hate the thick TP like Charmin and buy a generic two ply TP that is between Charmin and the crappy two ply commercial TP.)

Could be a shortage of packaging materials, I heard Robin Hood Flour ran out of their yellow bags and were shipping their product in generic white bags.

Before all this Corona stuff flared up, Costco had our TP on sale and my bride bough three bales. We're good till football season (if there is one). In my neck of the woods, flour was (and still is) tough to find sometimes. At our house we make all our bread so that's been an potential issue a couple times. I happened to be at the store when they were unloading a pallet last week so I snagged a couple bags. Meat will be the next manufactured shortage. I read that our meat exports are at near record levels but somehow we'll not have enough for domestic distribution. Never let a crisis go to waste.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Packaging has had to adapt as demand for certain products shift. All that TP that isn't going to commercial market is heading to the consumer market, so generic packaging helps speed things up. One manufacturer of disinfectant wipes has seeked permission to distribute their product in soft packaging like baby wipes come in because they can't get the round plastic containers that the wipes are normally packaged in fast enough to satisfy demand. By switching packaging, they can get product out the door.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

We shopped at our local Walmart last Tuesday morning during senior hour. There was NO toilet paper or paper towels of any kind in the store.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Surprised to hear that Walmart is out of TP right away in the morning. I have seen TP in stock recently at Walmart even later in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    We shopped at our local Walmart last Tuesday morning during senior hour. There was NO toilet paper or paper towels of any kind in the store.
    Local Walmart has had shelves half or more full for the last three weeks everytime (1xweek) I have been there.

In CO I see weird shortages. Costco never was short TP, but sometimes clorox wipes. Target was completely out of any beef, Costco had full bins. There was never a point when it was impossible to get something, but maybe not from one source. EXCEPT for at Whole Foods, where someone bought the entire 20# bulk bin of cinnamon gummy bears just before lockdown announced. Went to HomeDepot for some thin dimension (1/4) Oak, and they were cleaned out. Lowes 2 miles away had plenty. The main pattern I see is all the local dogs went on a great many walks. Mom sent kids and dog out at noon, came thru again in evenings (sans kids).
    Last edited by John Makar; 05-09-2020 at 12:03 PM.

As an addition to my earlier post my Walmart also was completely out of chicken and all pork except for a few big slabs of ribs.

Got to thinking maybe my Walmart dosen't want the old pepole not to wipe their butts.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by John Makar View Post
    In CO I see weird shortages. Costco never was short TP, but sometimes clorox wipes. Target was completely out of any beef, Costco had full bins. There was never a point when it was impossible to get something, but
    You can get Clorox wipes in your area? All we see is empty shelf space where the disinfecting wipes should be here in Minnesota. I would like to get a container or two of wipes for a trip at the end of the month.

Back when the TP hoarding started people were also hoarding disinfecting wipes. People were buying cart loads of wipes before limits started. I saw a lady with at least three of the four packs of the Clorox wipes and may have had more I couldn't see.