Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Super Nova II chuck

Super Nova II chuck

I have a 1 1/4” direct thread Super Nova II chuck. I’ve had the chuck for about a week, very happy with it. Maybe I’m missing something obvious but what is the best way to remove the chuck from the lathe? There doesn’t appear to be flat spots for a wrench, any suggestions???

Thanks,
    Shawn

Personally, I use the chuck key. Give it a nice hard hit and it should pop free. Steady pressure, less so.

Unscrew set screw. Set spindle lock. Open jaws, just far enough to insert a 3/4 inch dowel between jaws and apply downward force. It'll pop free.

Thank you!

Certainly. Knockout bars work too, but I’d rather not put metal on metal.

When mounting the chuck, do you have anything between the arbor and the chuck? There are special washers designed just for that purpose, they help keeping the chuck from sticking. If you don't have one, they are easy to make from old milk jugs. You would be surprised how the use of the washer will improve the ease of removing the chuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegrist View Post
    I have a 1 1/4” direct thread Super Nova II chuck. ... There doesn’t appear to be flat spots for a wrench, any suggestions???

Thanks,
    Shawn
    I personally think that is a disadvantage to the Nova direct-threaded chucks. I always use a chuck wrench when removing chucks from the lathe. Whacking the chuck key is a common method but I've seen damage from that. Putting a board or rod or something between the jaws to apply torque doesn't work if I want to leave the piece in the chuck which I do often. The plastic washer can make the chuck easier to remove but two cautions: the chuck can more easily loosen when you don't want it to (may need to use the set screw lock) and some have reported a washer reduced the precision, a possible problem if removing and remounting the chuck while leaving work in the jaws.

All my Nova/Teknatool chucks have the inserts with flats to use the wrench except for one. I bought a Titan direct thread and it's like you say, no flat for the wrench. I'm planning to put it on the milling machine and make a couple of flats for the wrench.

JKJ

I have tried using the plastic milk jug washer. Never got good results. Always seemed to wobble for me

Quote Originally Posted by jared herbert View Post
    I have tried using the plastic milk jug washer. Never got good results. Always seemed to wobble for me
    Jared
    Only 2 thoughts I have: Is the hole a snug fit or sloppy? Did you cut the washer out of the flat part of the jug or trimmed it so it's flat? I could see having a problem if the washer didn't fit flat between the chuck and the lathe arbor. I have been using commercial and jug washers for a couple of years now, and honestly cannot tell the difference between the two. Of course I used a hole saw to cut the inner hole and shears to cut the O.D. on them. I have used them with the chuck and face plate with similar results. Funny thing, I believe the shipping on the commercial washer is more than the cost of the washer.

Record Power has a Universal wrench #62825 that would probably work on the Super Nova II. The only problem is that you will have to order it from the U.K. if you only want the wrench. It comes in the Record Power chuck kits and works great. I've used it for faceplates and the Oneway Stronghold chuck as well.

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/assets...1428490422.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Haus View Post
    Jared
    Only 2 thoughts I have: Is the hole a snug fit or sloppy? Did you cut the washer out of the flat part of the jug or trimmed it so it's flat? I could see having a problem if the washer didn't fit flat between the chuck and the lathe arbor. I have been using commercial and jug washers for a couple of years now, and honestly cannot tell the difference between the two. Of course I used a hole saw to cut the inner hole and shears to cut the O.D. on them. I have used them with the chuck and face plate with similar results. Funny thing, I believe the shipping on the commercial washer is more than the cost of the washer.
    I've experimented with washers I bought and cut one myself from a milk jug. I wasn't happy with either and quit using them. (chuck wasn't secure enough for me) I later read and heard that some had trouble with the chuck running true with washers, a problem for turning very thin walls on large things like cowboy hats.

But maybe it's the way I mount a chuck. I've seen some tighten a chuck with a wrench but I don't do that. I thread it on by hand then "seat" it with a calibrated flick of the wrist for the last 1/8 turn or so. This sets the chuck so securely it takes a good force with the wrench to remove (I smack the wrench with the heel of my hand). For the kind of turning I do a chuck has never come loose either on deceleration or turning/acceleration in reverse. I don't use the locking set screw. Been working this way for close to 20 years. But I almost never turn massively heavy blanks - if I did I'd probably use the locking screw.

I agree with John regarding the washer. It really isn’t necessary and can cause problems. I don’t have the SuperNova direct thread, but I do have the Axminister SK114 that poses a similar problem. I had a spanner wrench that fit the chuck using the drive hex. That works very well. I’ll take a picture later and add it to this thread. A couple of other things, Always lubricate the threads, you should never spin “slap” the chuck into place. Bring the chuck to the face hand tight and use your tightening tool to seat it to the face.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

I ordered a spanner wrench from nova, once it arrives I’m going to take the wrench and chuck to a buddy that has a mill and ask him to mill me two flats on the chuck to use the wrench on. I’m surprised the direct thread chucks don’t have that already.

I had one of the Nova wrenches when I was using the Nova chucks. Just a piece of stamped sheet metal. It was ok, but not very robust. When I bought my Axminister SK114 it has the same problem as the direct thread Nova. I had a old spanner wrench I’m think was part of an auction that I never used. It fit the Axminister perfectly. My opinion is this works better than a sheet metal wrench.
    Last edited by William C Rogers; 05-11-2020 at 3:37 PM.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.