Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Super Nova II chuck

Instead of any plastic I use a washer (thrust bearing washer) instead. I believe they are ground to .005, good enough for me.
    For the chuck to get stuck the washer would have to "stick" to the headstock and also to the chuck. I'v never had a problem but do apply a light oil to each side.
    https://www.amazon.com/Koyo-TRC-1625...9246260&sr=8-6
    Almost any size is available; bore, exterior, and thickness.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." - Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegrist View Post
    I ordered a spanner wrench from nova, once it arrives I’m going to take the wrench and chuck to a buddy that has a mill and ask him to mill me two flats on the chuck to use the wrench on. I’m surprised the direct thread chucks don’t have that already.
    Be careful when you mill the slots. Be sure you don't mill off metal from the critical seating surface. I don't know what your direct thread chuck looks like, all mine have adapters. From what I see, there's not a lot of metal to mill.
    Just my $0.02.

I think I’m going to pass on milling flat spots on the chuck, there just isn’t enough metal. Clamping a board between the jaws is easy enough.

I am disappointed that the chucks aren’t designed to have flat spots for a wrench.

What about using an oil filter wrench? They come in all sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by Shawn Siegrist View Post
    I think I’m going to pass on milling flat spots on the chuck, there just isn’t enough metal. Clamping a board between the jaws is easy enough.

I am disappointed that the chucks aren’t designed to have flat spots for a wrench.
    There are times that you don’t want to remove the piece from the chuck and put something else on the lathe. I still think using a spanner wrench is the best option. I did the board clamping until I figured out a better option.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    I had a spanner wrench that fit the chuck using the drive hex. That works very well.
    William, where did you get your spanner wrench?

There are a couple of adjustable hook spanner wrenches on Amazon that look like they would work, one at $20, another at $50. Not sure I want to spend that much on a specialized tool, but I do cringe every time I put a board (or, true confessions, my knock out bar) between the jaws to remove my direct threaded SN2's.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Bunge View Post
    William, where did you get your spanner wrench?

There are a couple of adjustable hook spanner wrenches on Amazon that look like they would work, one at $20, another at $50. Not sure I want to spend that much on a specialized tool, but I do cringe every time I put a board (or, true confessions, my knock out bar) between the jaws to remove my direct threaded SN2's.

Dave

I don’t remember where/when I got this wrench. My guess it was in a lot of auction tools from many years ago. It is an adjustable Armstrong 4 1/2 - 6 1/4 spanner. My chuck is 4 1/2 diameter and fits perfect. I don’t know the diameter of the Nova chuck. I know these can be pricy and I would look at eBay for one. It would need to be the size for the Nova chuck body diameter. The other John Jordan (as JKJ would say) did a demo at our club and one of the things he stressed was never to spin the chuck on. Bring it to the spindle face and then tighten moderately with a wrench. He also used WD40 on the spindle threads before installing the chuck. I have been doing that (except I put some never seize on my spindle threads about once every couple of weeks) and have not had any of my chucks “stuck” since over 1 1/2 years.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    ....The other John Jordan (as JKJ would say) did a demo at our club and one of the things he stressed was never to spin the chuck on. ...
    Everyone has an opinion. What was the reason given?

I suspect spinning it too hard by big green Incredible Hulk hands could create a problem.

JKJ[/QUOTE]

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Everyone has an opinion. What was the reason given?

I suspect spinning it too hard by big green Incredible Hulk hands could create a problem.

JKJ
    [/QUOTE]

John said that the chuck would never require more to remove it than to install it. I have been tightening my chuck by hand for the last year and half and it works. I have not had any chuck get “stuck” and zero problems doing it that way. Before I use to spin it on and occasionally the chuck would get stuck, sometimes worse that other times. No more.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    Record Power has a Universal wrench #62825 that would probably work on the Super Nova II. The only problem is that you will have to order it from the U.K. if you only want the wrench. It comes in the Record Power chuck kits and works great. I've used it for faceplates and the Oneway Stronghold chuck as well.

https://www.recordpower.co.uk/assets...1428490422.jpg
    Logic says it would "probably work" work but the RP wrench uses a hole in the RP adapter that is not on the direct threaded SN2. I have Teknatool and RP chucks and the wrench.
    God is great and life is good!

Quote Originally Posted by richard shelby View Post
    What about using an oil filter wrench? They come in all sizes.
    Or maybe a strap clamp?

Home Depot Strap Wrench out of the plumbing department solves the problem with not having wrench flats. Cheap no damage solution.

gary

If it is just the chuck, I put a piece of scrap wood, may half inch thick, perpendicular to the chuck, tighten down the jaws and lever it loose.