Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 14 inch bandsaw, Laguna or Rikon

14 inch bandsaw, Laguna or Rikon

Well, search for adding a 14 inch bandsaw to the shop now down to Laguna 14bx and Rikon 10-326. Both appear to have features I'm looking for, generally.

I'm leaning toward the Laguna, but have concerns about the ceramic guides. A bit of research indicates people either love or hate them. I'd like to hear from experienced woodworkers here.

Btw, the Rikon has a clever looking guide set up, but it's the conventional bearing type. Also Rikon has 5 year warrantee.

Also in the market, I can't tell you how many hours I've read and watched reviews on those two models. My conclusion is those are the two best saws in that price range.

On Amazon, the Laguna has 34 reviews, 67% of which are 5 stars, and 9% 1 stars.
    The Rikon has about the same number, 38 reviews. 88% 5 stars, and 4% 1 stars.
    That's a big difference.

Lots of video reviews on YouTube as well that are very informative. I highly recommend watching and listening to the bad as well as the good.

Reading the reviews, you find in the case of Laguna, that most of the issues are initial quality issues- table flatness and vibration due to wheel runout. Unfortunately, it has taken a long time to resolve those issues for some buyers.

It seems that if you get a Laguna without initial quality issues, they are exceptional. I have considered making a three hour drive to a Woodcraft dealer that has one set up on the floor. In that case, I would take a couple of quick measurements and turn it on to verify that it will perform well. But I personally won't buy a Laguna unless i am able to inspect it first hand. If I didn't have that option, I'd get a Rikon.

Not trying to trivialize the decision, but instead of hours of research, pick one, and dedicate the time to tuning it, using it and having a good time with it. Your experience and skill level will be the much bigger factor in the results you get from whatever bandsaw you choose.

Neither of these choices are "bad". The guides can be retrofit in the unlikely event you later decide they were the wrong kind.

In terms of selecting which one, flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.

Buy that one.

Edwin

Actually I think the research is time well spent. There were a couple of video reviews of bandsaws with issues that can't be tuned out. Tables so far out of flatness that you can't push the work through without it catching. Wheels that runout so much that the saw vibrates excessively was another issue that you can't tune out. It took many months for those owners to get replacement parts in those cases. I don't want to go through that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Not trying to trivialize the decision, but instead of hours of research, pick one, and dedicate the time to tuning it, using it and having a good time with it. Your experience and skill level will be the much bigger factor in the results you get from whatever bandsaw you choose.

Neither of these choices are "bad". The guides can be retrofit in the unlikely event you later decide they were the wrong kind.

In terms of selecting which one, flip a coin. When it's in the air, you'll know which side you're hoping for.

Buy that one.

Edwin

I like the guides on my Laguna as I have had multiple saw, ceramic are the best in my opion.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

I have the Rikon and love it.

is there a shop nearby where you could try one before deciding?

Quote Originally Posted by Todd Solomon View Post
    Actually I think the research is time well spent. There were a couple of video reviews of bandsaws with issues that can't be tuned out. Tables so far out of flatness that you can't push the work through without it catching. Wheels that runout so much that the saw vibrates excessively was another issue that you can't tune out. It took many months for those owners to get replacement parts in those cases. I don't want to go through that.
    Well I stand corrected. I wasn't aware that the quality control problems with new bandsaws these days were that significant. If that is the case, then yes, it might be best if there were a way for you to evaluate the specific machine you are considering buying so you can check out the table flatness, wheel runout and any other criteria you are concerned about. Bandsaws are really very uncomplicated machines which is why it is both surprising and disappointing to hear about the problems.
    I will say that one of the pitfalls of the abundant internet reviews is that they are mostly people's opinions, and it can be really hard to distinguish the opinion of someone who knows what they're talking about from someone who doesn't.

I own two bandsaws, one is a Laguna (Meber) 16 that I bought new in 1999, and the second is a MM20 bought new in 2018. The Minimax was perfectly tuned right out of the crate. The Laguna was pretty good too but I eventually learned it needed a table adjustment to eliminate drift. I've gotten excellent results from both and wouldn't part with either.

When I took a two week workshop at Anderson Ranch Arts Center, there were three bandsaws in the machine room. One was a Powermatic, one was an Aggazani. The smallest was a 14" Jet which, by the third or fourth day, everyone in the class concluded was an absolute piece of junk and nobody wanted to have anything to do with it.
    The instructor, Michael Fortune, mumbled something about staying late and tinkering with it. By the end of the next day, the piece of junk Jet, which now performed like a well tuned violin, was everyone's favorite, and we all waited in line to use it because it cut so beautifully. If any of us had made a video review of that Jet prior to Michael's tuning, let's just say the review would not have been favorable.

I bought the Rikon last summer and have been very happy. It took a while to get everything dialed in just right but once done it's a solid performer. I've used 3/8 blades for curves and 3/4 blades for some resawing too. It has plenty of horsepower for resawing 10" white oak. The 110V receptacle is handy for a work light. The one weak link in my opinion is the fence system. It has an alignment feature that's really fussy, and the clamping knobs used to lock things down are too small to generate the proper torque. First world problems I guess.

48393929847_3e80b3e84a_k.jpg
    Last edited by Rob Luter; 05-09-2020 at 6:07 AM. Reason: Typo
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

There is an important thing that's lurking in this thread....the absolute fact that regardless of what machine gets chosen, one cannot assume it's going to work perfectly out of the crate regardless of brand/model and size. Sometimes we get lucky, but most of the time, "something" is going to need adjustment for the machine to work optimally to its capability. It doesn't matter how much was paid, either...even high end equipment needs to be checked upon arrival and adjustments made in many cases. I don't have an opinion on the original question between the Laguna or Rikon...I don't know either well enough.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the Laguna 14 SUV ("souped-up version"). It has a little extra re-saw capacity over the standard 14" and a larger 3hp motor. I bought it before I knew much about bandsaws, and it's worked out pretty well. I like the low table and extra horsepower. Good dust collection, cuts great. Not as smooth a cut as my tables, but pretty good for a bandsaw.

I have the Laguna 14BX and love it. My local store has both Rikon and Laguna and speak highly of both. I noticed many of the people who work there have the Rikon, but that may be because it is a little cheaper. I haven't used the Rikon, but I think you can't go wrong with either (assuming you get one of the majority that have no QC issues).

If the Rikon does not have a break (I don't remember) I'd push for the Laguna as I LOVE the break. It is amazing how often I use it and smile that I can stop the saw instantly and safely move to the next thing I wanted to do. The 18BX wasn't out when I got mine and I never looked at its price, since I'm not upgrading, but one of the guys at the local woodworking shop who mentioned owning the 14 inch Rikon said the 18BX is his dream saw and I can see why if it has all the virtues of the 14BX and a bigger table (I've never needed more resaw capacity than I've got with the 14BX but have wanted more width to not have to change over to the table saw).

I have had to call Laguna customer service over two minor things (once in warranty once out) and both times found them great in spite of warnings I'd seen online on a few old threads.

I did upgrade the bearings eventually to Carter guides, but already was a big fan of the saw before that (it, for example, makes me smile far more than my SS table saw does in spite of being much less expensive).

I have owned a Laguna 14/12 Which is similar to the 14Bx for quite some time. I think you will love the guides. They are very easy to adjust. One thing that will help is to move the knob from the back position on the lower guide to the front. This only causes an issue if you have to tilt the table. Then you can switch it back.

Great info, sounds like both Rikon and Laguna are excellent saws. I had been trying to buy a used Laguna 16HD, but the seller has gone AWOL, lol. So I'm staying on the Laguna or Rikon hunt, hoping something used comes up. I may break down and buy new before long.

How about the Jet 14" JWBS14-SFX. How does that compare? That is the saw I have been looking at.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

For the kind of money a 14" Laguna or Rikon go for you can get a 17" Grizzly. I got talked into that route and could not be happier. Of course, if you have local experts for one brand or the other that could sway the decision. I use mine mainly as a tablesaw replacement, therefore I value the fact that the G0513X2 will tension a 3/4" blade.