I sanded it up to 500 grit, then i used woodturner oil for the finish

High: 15cm
    Diameter: 19cm
    Thickness: 4-6mm

hope you enjoy it

https://youtu.be/hr1pbkmiwdQ

Kind Greetings
    Roger

IMG_20200402_145443.jpgIMG_20200402_145435.jpgIMG_20200402_145343.jpgIMG_20200402_145414.jpg

Blog Entries
    Very nice beautiful piece of wood!

Very nice piece. I haven't done much hollowing but always wondered it it could be done in reverse on the back side where it's easier to see. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Nice piece and interesting contrast. You usually do not see that much darker wood associated with Ash, but the lighter wood definitely looks to be Ash.

Mike Goetzke, yes, you could run in reverse and get a better view of what you're cutting. Also, you can probably get a more stable grip on your tools. Of course, you'll need to use a grub screw to keep your chuck from unscrewing.

But, unless your lathe is up against a wall, you could also just turn from the other side of the lathe with the lathe running in the normal direction. When I set up my lathe, I set it up in the middle of the room and can work from either side.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Very nice piece. I haven't done much hollowing but always wondered it it could be done in reverse on the back side where it's easier to see. Thanks for sharing.

Mike

Here is a video from Dave at D-way tools - he hollows in reverse and for smaller vessels that his tool is used for, he doesn't even bother with a grub screw as the tool rest will block the piece if the chuck comes loose. I've tried his method and had the chuck come loose one time and it was no big deal as the tool rest was very close to the wood and stopped the chuck from coming unscrewed very far.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_FJv4i6Yis

Tom