Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood Bathroom Vanity Top?

Wood Bathroom Vanity Top?

My wife wants a wood vanity top. Don't know if this is a good choice in the long run. If anyone has done this I would like to hear your experience and wood choice.

Thanks,
    Mike

Mike, we had one, past tense. It looked good for a short while. But in a short time, it need some dramatic upkeep maintenance and/or repair. I ended up repairing the damage and then covering it with tile. My wife and I won't have another one. One of my future projects is to build a new vanity and put a solid stone top on it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

We have solid walnut tops in both master and guest baths. It was against my advice at the time (wife wanted them when we remodeled the house in 2012) but it's what she wanted, so... They needed to be completely refinished a few years ago but I just haven't had time. Proceed at your own risk, I would say.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

Blog Entries
    If she's gotta have it, she's gotta have it. But first make her sign a waiver that you won't be doing any refinishing on it

Oh boy - I relayed the info I've been gathering and now she wants me to make a concrete top .

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Goetzke View Post
    Oh boy - I relayed the info I've been gathering and now she wants me to make a concrete top .
    Well,,, at least you don't have to worry about refinishing the top now..
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Concrete tops stain...will that be any better than the wood?

I stayed in a hotel a couple of years ago where the bath vanity was clear coated wood. I was shocked how perfect the finish looked. When I asked the manager about it he said they were at least 5 years old. He seemed to know all about them, too, and said the finish was 2K Poly. That's pretty durable stuff, think auto clear coat, but I'm not sure how well it would stand up to nail polish, et al. Still, they looked great.

Granite in my master bath.

John

You're better off with the concrete.
    Like others, we once had a wooden vanity. Now they're all granite. The kitchen was Formica, and it is now granite also. Formica gets pretty "used looking" after 30 years.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Concrete tops stain...will that be any better than the wood?
    They're good if an appropriate sealer is used. Much more durable than wood.

It's how careful you want to be ,and if you can teach children to turn the water on non-full blast. Grandparents used to
    use wash bowls and many of those pieces look good and seem to have old finish. But there are some adults who always
    give the handle a big turn regardless of who's house they are in.

About 5 years ago I installed an 1 1/2 inch solid walnut counter top in our guest bathroom. Filled the grain and sprayed on 3 coats of a 2 part clear satin epoxy from Chemcraft. Was told the stuff was used for bar tops. The counter is not in daily use but got to say its still in very very good condition. Used the same epoxy for my outside table on the porch. After 10 years I do not plan on refinishing it for the next couple years

I had a house with 4 bathrooms with wooden counter tops. I stripped the oak top in the mbr and then finished it with a waterbased urethane. The house was built in 1975, when I left in 2018 they were all ok The only reason I refinished the mbr was a total gut but the wife wanted to keep the wood counters

As long as you are willing to keep it dry, I wouldn't worry at all about a wooden vanity counter. This is our vanity sink that I did about 7 years ago. Wood that was sold to me by a large supplier as Brazilian Walnut and some have told me there is no such thing, but regardless, it's gorgeous. It still looks like new. Probably has 15 thin coats of oil based Arm-R-Seal semi gloss- top AND bottom AND edges. That's important. I never even bothered to caulk the under mount connection between sink and counter and that hasn't been a problem at all. It's also only a smidgen over an inch thick which IMO is a much better look. After the grandkids (two small boys) visit and leave, We like to compare notes- "So how many times did you wipe down the counter?" It will be covered in water but we never say anything- we just follow them in later (and adults too!) and wipe the counter dry. It is true that people are conditioned to believe that sink counters can be left with standing water. If you're willing to not let water stand for hours, then you will be fine. The thing I find most interesting is that after 7 years of wiping it down with a terrycloth towel, it is absolutely smoother than when I installed it.

We are getting close to redoing our kitchen and gave serious thought to a wood counter, but decided against it because there is no way we want to control the standing water there and I don't want to do epoxy.

IMG_0056.jpg

Did one about 6 years ago and used marine varnish. Worked great.

Did another two and used catalyzed NC lacquer because I wanted a satin finish. Lasted a year. Suggest you use a waterproof glue as well.

MK