Thread: Humpty Dumpty

Humpty Dumpty

I sure this doesn’t happen to any of you. I had a piece of cherry that I was making an urn. Trying to practice how small an opening I could hollow. I got the piece hollowed and was in the process of removing the nub in. the bottom. I strongly suspect that I had the tool too low and it grabbed and went under the nub lifting the tool at the opening and broke into three pieces.
    A6E5AB92-B439-4A21-86F2-4503B79A647E_1_201_a.jpg

Well it sat in the firewood collection for over a week. Since I was looking for a new challenge I decided to see what I could do. I glued it back together with titebond glue and was surprised how well everything turned true. It looked fair as there were only two of the cracks that went top to bottom and they glued really tight looking like grain lines in the center of the piece. Still there were noticeable areas. So I made a chevron pattern and use my pyrography pen. I added a walnut top and base and went with a cherry finial. The piece is 10” diameter and 12” tall. Just for info I estimate there are over 95,000 burn marks. This is not something I will repeat. and yes, I removed the nub before gluing back together.

5D76A055-E5B6-4784-8937-F2125DBFEA59_1_201_a.jpg717566F7-0E7D-4FD2-AC5B-1525DBB9E7F9_1_201_a.jpg
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Nice recovery

Nice save. I like to see what others do when something like that happens. Here is one of mine from a few months ago. I broke out the small hole I was using for hollowing, and it cracked down one side. The copper collar was necessary, but the stitching is really just to disguise the cracks.
    Stitched form.jpg

Good job Paul. It all looks like an intended art piece.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.