Thread: Dust collector Bag keeps popping

Dust collector Bag keeps popping

I recently bought a jcdc-3, 3 hp jet cyclone dust collector. The filter has a smaller dust collection bag attached to it on the bottom. I have now blow. Out 4 plastic bags in about 1 hour of use. I have triple checked and am sure I have ordered the correct bag.

My dust collector has an 8” inlet and I downsize to a 5 foot long 6” flexible hose and a 10 foot long 4” flexible house. I have to roll around tools so I can’t use permanent duct. The bags have popped on my 13” planer just using the 4” tube with the 6” open, and on my table saw using both. I tried order a 2nd set thinking that maybe the heat seal wasn’t thick enough, but the first bag from the 2nd set popped after 5 Minutes. When I say popped I mean the heat seal on the bottom of the bag. Breaks open anywhere from 1” to almost the hole bag. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

There's nothing that says you must use bags from the DC's manufacturer. Measure the existing bag, and use Google to find other sources for plastic bags. There's zillions of them on the web.

You likely will want a micrometer to measure the bag thickness.

I have a Jet 1-stage DC. I replaced the upper bag with a Wynn filter, and instead of the lower OEM cloth bag, I run with plastic trash bags. I can always tell when the filter is plugged, as the lower bag feels like it is about to burst.

Your situation sounds much the same; I’d recommend a good cleaning of your filter.

Clean your filter. It is adding enough resistance to pop your bag.

I agree with the others. If the filtration is working as it should the bag should be limp. One of my many misconceptions when I first got a dust collector is that if the filter bag is taut the dust collector must be working really well. The opposite is true.

I spent 5 minutes using the paddle to clean the filter and got some dust. I then used both my leaf blower and compressed air to remove any residual air. While the filter is not brand new it is pretty clean and on the inside it is about 80% white. I then put on a new bag it popped almost immediately. I tried to find footage of cyclone collectors and it looks like in the image below that the filter collection bag for the laguna also inflates. The filter is a spun polyester. Should I try cleaning it with water or is that excessive. Could it be a problem other than the filter being clogged.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...9&&FORM=VDRVRV

Either your filter is clogged or you have defective bags.

Blog Entries
    I'm just restating what others have said; if there is enough back pressure to make the bag blow up like a balloon, it is too much. Either the filter does not have enough area to pass the required quantity of air or it is clogged. A short term solution might be to triple your bags. If someone sews in the household have them make an over-bag.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use a plastic dogfood bag on the bottom of my filter. Ran a band of foam weather strip around the bottom of the filter, slide the bag on and use a huge hose clamp to tighten down over the bag, above the weather strip.

Chad,

Was this a new unit when you bought it?

No it was a used unit That I bought at a going out of business auction. When I bought it there was an attached bag about 1/5 filled with dust. I took the filter off and am convinced that it is not plugged. The dust collector comes with the option of a straight 8” or three 4” connections. Using a metal wye I made a 6” and 4” splitter. I only have the 5 ft of 6” flexible hose and 10 ft of 4” flexible hose. The barrel with first stage is about 1/3 full so that part is working. Is it possible that there is not enough resistance and too much air is making it to the bag? That the dust collector was designed to have more runs? I am on my way to my in-laws but when I get back I am going to run it with the 6” capped to see how the bag handles a reduced air volume.

I think your filter is clogged. You say you took the filter off and it looks clean. If the DC was being used while spraying something like lacquer you would not see the results of that on the filter.