I would appreciate any help/suggestions about how to get PMV-11 chisels/plane blades sharp.

I don't know anything about types of steel, metallurgy etc., but I would like to think I have some appreciation for sharp edge tools. I've always been a little bit obsessive about getting the sharpest possible edge on chisels, plane blades etc., However I have no great analytical method for determining sharpness – for me I go by dragging my finger over the cutting edge and the efficacy of the cutting action working wood tells the tale.

For reference the primary angle on both chisels and plane blades is 25°. Secondary bevel angle for plane blades is 35° and for chisels 30°. I'm not exactly sure why two different secondary bevel angles, just the current state-of-the-art in my never ending chase for sharp.

Over the last 30 years I've gone through more sets of sharpening stones than I can remember. Currently I use three grades of Shapton Pro water stones and occasionally strop with green compound, one straight grain maple, the other leather, shiny side up.

I'm able to get 01 steel and Japanese edge tools more than sharp enough to satisfy me right off the stones. My frustration is my PMV edge tools never feel as sharp, I think regardless of whether I strop or not. The PMV tools work fine and seem to hold their edge for a long time, but when I'm looking for that final feathery thin final shaving from a finish plane on a show surface, feels like I'm not 100% there. Maybe my perception is off and given the imprecise nature of determining sharpness, maybe this is all in my head. Regardless, I would very much appreciate any advice and suggestions for my fellow Creekers about how you get optimal sharpness from your PMV tools. Thanks in advance for your help!

Best, Mike