Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Laguna 16HD bandsaw Vs. something new

Used Laguna 16HD bandsaw Vs. something new

Hi all,

I have an opportunity to purchase a used Laguna 16HD. I don't yet know how old it is or any other details, other than it has 16" resaw capability.

There have been a fair number of improvements in bandsaws in recent years, such as the new generation ceramic guides on the new Lagunas, or the tool-less guides from Rikon, tool-less everything for that matter.

For this reason, I've been leaning towards a new generation bandsaw. Currently debating between the Rikon 18" Deluxe, or the Rikon 18" Professional.

A lot of folks spend $$ updgrading older Lagunas with the Driftmaster fence, for example. Some newer bandsaws come with easy drift adjustment standard, and taller high-low fences (I plan on resawing 12" on my next project).

Any thoughts on getting new? Or should I consider an older Laguna 16HD?

Thanks,

Todd

If it has 16" resaw, it is a fairly recent 16HD. My 16HD was built in 2000, and it only has 12" resaw. IIRC, that was the spec for another ten years or so. Mine came with "euro-style" guides. I'll bet one with 16" resaw is new enough to have Laguna's ceramic guides, and it probably has a 4 hp motor on it.

I haven't examined newer Rikon saws, but the first ones which came to the US were not at all competitive with the 16HD.

If you're mostly doing resaw with this saw, you won't need that Driftmaster fence. I don't have it, and find no need for it.
    I've bolted a taller wood fence on to the OEM 5"-tall fence. That works perfectly well.

So don't give up on this used saw. It will probably do exactly what you need.

Todd my thoughts FWIW. You are dealing with two different classes of saws here. The Rikons are good saws but not in the same league as a Laguna HD. I would look long and hard at the Laguna. What is the asking price ?

Thanks for the feedback guys. I don't know much about the saw yet, I am waiting to hear back from the seller on age, price, type of guides, Etc.

It seems that if you get a good Laguna, they are fantastic. However I've seen a lot of reviews of initial quality issues. Hopefully this one has a flat table and low vibration. I will have an opportunity to see it and take a few quick measurements before buying, one advantage of buying used.

I have been pleasantly surprised at the high number of good reviews on the Rikons, they appear to have really stepped up quality, performance and features on their latest generation. At least on the 14" models. However not many reviews on the 18" models. The 18" Professional, in particular, looks like a great machine that may compete with the european saws. The 18" deluxe model may fit my needs just fine though.

If anyone else has first hand experience on either Lagunas or Rikons, I'm all ears.

Thanks,

Todd

The "driftmaster" fence isn't about drift. It's about making repeatable thickness veneers easily, quickly and accurately. Every bandsaw fence adjusts for drift. They'd be worthless with out it.

It's going to boil down to price and condition on any used widget. Also the accessories it may come with. That driftmaster fence is $400 and they don't come up for sale in the used market. A carbide blade is 150-200. Mobility is 100-200$

You should verify the specs , but I'd guess the Laguna's spine is much beefier and will allow for greater tension of the blade than the Rikon. This is one of the most important factors for resawing.

edit: the 16HD will take a small blade, it's the RESAW Master that won't. Apologies to all.
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 05-08-2020 at 11:31 PM.

Laguna sells two lines of bandsaws. The less expensive line appears to be made in China or Taiwan, and made to compete with Grizzly, Rinkon, and so on. Their more expensive line is made in Italy and is more comparable to SCMI/Minimax. Apples and oranges.

As far as fences go, my MM20 has a cast iron fence that is not (readily) adjustable for drift, and I don't have any trouble cutting veneer stock, assuming my blade is sharp and properly tensioned.

Dave is right on the new Laguna saws--but some of the older "HD" saws were made in Bulgaria. My 2004 14HD is Bulgarian, some are not fond but i find no fault with the one i have. Baldor motor and stiff spine.
    earl

Thanks guys for the info, good stuff. Sounds like this machine is worth a hard look. I contacted the seller but have yet to hear back from him.

I had one, Italian made by ACM. Great little saw ;-) Needed some fixings on the ceramic guides though. The inserts weren't parallel, or square to the mounting face, so it was a bit of fiddling to get them set right. The dollar bill trick was useless. I flattened the ceramics on a diamond stone, and flycut the backs square on the mill. They were great after that.

Biggest gripe I had was that you either had to remove the fence extrusion, or the blade (easier), to remove the fence assy to gain throat depth. The Felder saw I replaced it with lifts straight off. Much better IMO. No drift adjustment, other than shimming the fence plate, but I've never had a need on either of them.

I have had a LT18 since 2001, the model that came with the Euro guides as original. I upgraded to the ceramic guides later with good results. With a 16" resew capacity, it is likely a newer model.
    I have had no problems since delivery with this machine; just resawed some boards the other day with no hiccups. You can do fine with the original fence without upgrading to the Driftmaster, unless you want to spend some coin and upgrade.

The driftmaster fences are a great fence if it comes with one. I have one on my 18'' Laguna and love its features.
    Richard Poitras
    Central, Michigan....
    01-02-2006

Thank you gentlemen. I had an MM16 years ago, also an Italian beauty. I do miss it, it did everything right.

So Todd, did you get more info from the seller -- specs, price? Did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    So Todd, did you get more info from the seller -- specs, price? Did you buy it?
    Unfortunately the seller vaporized. He initially reached out to me with a PM, but hasn't responded since. Perhaps he sold it. So I'm still in the hunt for a bandsaw!

I had a 16 HD when I lived in MA. I sold the saw when we moved to CA, which I regret, but I was really happy with the work I did on that saw. I had no trouble with it.