Thread: Mechanical room in small hobby shop?

Mechanical room in small hobby shop?

As mentioned in my post about purchasing a used Oneida dust collector, my plan is to install it in a separate outside enclosure or at least a covering. I was also thinking about making the enclosure a little larger to house a couple of compressors. I suppose this could be called a mechanical room of sort. The reason for the 2 compressors is one is only a 5 hp vertical unit that satisfies most of my needs for shop air but the other is a larger 10hp, 3ph Ingersoll Rand for intermittent and demanding tasks. I also plan to run the DC exhaust outside for the most part and divert it inside using the filter when needing to retain heat/cool temperatures inside. My shop is in a very rural and mild climate area so most of the time I anticipate exhausting outside. Getting back to the concept of a mechanical room, has anyone built a similar addition to their shop?

location and climate? Build an adobe shed for noise reduction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    location and climate? Build an adobe shed for noise reduction.
    NW Arizona at about 5000 ft. elevation.

Blog Entries
    Not a separate building, but I built a mechanical room in my basement, adjacent to the garage, that houses the dust collector, compressor and a little bit of storage. I did it to reclaim shop space & for noise abatement. The filtered collection air is returned to the shop For me, it was well worth doing.

I see no reason why you can't do what you want to do. The only difference between your plan and my compressor/DC closet is that mine is inside the building envelope and yours will be outside the envelope. It will work fine.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

With that climate my idea of adobe would actually not be the joke I meant it as. For real noise containment make a arch or dome roof. Just make sure to waterproof the roof after construction. You could even make a concrete foundation. Straw bale construction would also soak up a lot of noise.
    Bil lD

I think April Wilkerson did exactly what you are consideing in one of her Youtube videos, she's in Texas I believe.

I built on a store room, has my DC, air compressor, tire machine, and lumber and plywood storage. Just added to the length of my building. Would think adding a lean to would be fairly easy to house your DC and air compressors. I vent outside mostly, just added a blast gate and duct to outside, made a 8" dryer type vent so birds and bugs would not move in. Just close the blast gate and all the air goes to the filter. Cuts the flow in half to use the filter.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Garson View Post
    I think April Wilkerson did exactly what you are consideing in one of her Youtube videos, she's in Texas I believe.
    Her larger Clearvue (the metal one) is under the porch roof at her personal shop and she did show a video of that. She hasn't disclosed what she's going to do for dust collection at her new commercial location yet...multiple CNC machines, etc., going at the same time.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Her larger Clearvue (the metal one) is under the porch roof at her personal shop and she did show a video of that. She hasn't disclosed what she's going to do for dust collection at her new commercial location yet...multiple CNC machines, etc., going at the same time.
    I think the video I was thinking of was for her old shop about 4 years ago. The video title was "Building a Lean To" in 3 parts plus one video on installing a Harbour freight Dust Collector in the shed. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsTH6ujv8tY
    That seems to be the wrong video, I can find the videos on building the shed and she talks about putting the DC in it but not the video where she finally installs the DC in the shed. It is in her old shop not the huge one she built last year or so or her new commercial shop.
    Last edited by Doug Garson; 05-09-2020 at 9:55 PM.

Ah, thanks for the clarification, Doug. I wasn't watching anything from her that far back, for the most part.
    --

Anxious to get the dust collector up and running I began installation in a corner of my shop that is actually outside of the main shop area. It was a horse stall and open to the shop with Mr. Ed type doors. Hopefully most of the noise from the DC will be directed outside. I'll eventually build a separate room and incorporate the stall area into the shop for more floor space. I'll try to take some pics after getting further along.