Thread: Weigh in your thoughts. Leg vise versus a standard vise for a roubo

Weigh in your thoughts. Leg vise versus a standard vise for a roubo

So im gonna build a split top roubo. I want to get some opinions on the pros/cons of a wooden leg vise versus a standard vise. I don't have the money to throw down on Benchcrafted gear or the top end Veritas stuff, but I'm not looking for the bottom of the barrel so aim for middle priced/quality gear. This is for the face of the bench, I will get an end vise as well in the style of the Veritas chain drive vise (if not that one specifically). If I get a standard vise it'll be quick release, and i'll add some hard wood blocks to extend it, and I'd try to find the biggest one I can (9-10in). Oh, and I consider myself a hybrid wood worker (as per Mark Spagnuolo description) but won't shy away from cutting my own dovetails rather than dropping a lot of money on a good router jig.

So what are your thoughts on these systems? What are the major differences in your experiences?

Quote Originally Posted by Dolfo Picanco View Post
    So im gonna build a split top roubo. I want to get some opinions on the pros/cons of a wooden leg vise versus a standard vise. I don't have the money to throw down on Benchcrafted gear or the top end Veritas stuff, but I'm not looking for the bottom of the barrel so aim for middle priced/quality gear. This is for the face of the bench, I will get an end vise as well in the style of the Veritas chain drive vise (if not that one specifically). If I get a standard vise it'll be quick release, and i'll add some hard wood blocks to extend it, and I'd try to find the biggest one I can (9-10in). Oh, and I consider myself a hybrid wood worker (as per Mark Spagnuolo description) but won't shy away from cutting my own dovetails rather than dropping a lot of money on a good router jig.

So what are your thoughts on these systems? What are the major differences in your experiences?
    Dolfo,

If money is tight lose the end vise. For no more often that a end vise is needed the Veritas wonder dog will work most of the time plus in addition to the wonder dog there are many very easy workarounds. Spend the money you save on a Benchrafted vise screw and crisscross, a few months later you will never miss the extra money you spent on the vise and if you cobble together something that may or may not work well you will have to live with it, maybe forever.

In the big picture of building a bench a few hundred on a vise is chump change. One vise, usually a face vise, is all that is needed. A good leg vise can be the most useful of the lot.

ken

I went with option #3 which was no face or leg vise and instead opted for an apron with holes for holdfasts and pegs on my split top Roubo. I have a twin screw end vise, so with that and the apron I have zero need for a face or leg vise. I go into a little detail about my decision here: https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ext-dream%85-)

Dolfo, a number of very respected woodworkers can make a case for no face vise and/or no end vise. You've not described the work that you are going to be doing so I'll assume furniture making. A leg vise usually has about 7 - 12" between the benchtop and the screw which then allows to hang onto wide boards very well. For vertical work, you can build your own Moxon quite cheaply with some Acme threaded screws and nuts. Look into an Acme threaded rod for your leg vise. Alternatively, loook into a used Record or Wilton or try to score a new similar vise from Rockler, Woodcraft, et. al. I do not know if Lee Valley sells such any more but they do have free shipping going on.

Hmmmm...mine has an End vise...and a leg vise.....use both all the time...
    Shop Tour 2020, main work area.JPG

Enough said....

I am a hybrid woodworker as well. I have a 60” long by 30” deep outfeed table that has an old 7 inch Wilton quick release face vise. This surface sometimes doubles for a bench. I also have an 84”x 23”workbench with a Twin screw Veritas end vise and a wooden screw leg vise (the traditional carpenter.com). I personally couldn’t justify the expense for benchcrafted hardware. I’ve been pleased with the more traditional leg vise. I use the wonder pup more than the tail vise. Holdfasts and battens are used more than the tail vise as well. No good reason for this other than these are patterns that have taken hold. I’d recommend several holes in the bench top for holdfasts. I only have one row of dog holes and that is generally adequate for the work I do which is primarily bookshelves, cabinets, tables, nightstands in the shaker/craftsman vein. The handle on the leg vice does Sit lower than the handle of a typical face vise so you do have to bend some to reach the handle. I recall one member who for this reason replaced the leg vise on his bench with a 24” on center twin screw vise. To each his own. I’m 5’ 10”. So I don’t have to bend to far to reach the handle. Good luck on making a decision.

i should add that my leg vise has a pegged parallel bar which requires me to set the pin when using the vise on variety of thicknesses. There are designs that do not require this but do add to the hardware costs. Avoiding this adjustment requirement is another factor that drives some to go the benchcrafted route or to use a different face vise such as a quick release or standard vise.
    Last edited by Joe A Faulkner; 05-07-2020 at 10:45 PM.

I ditched my Leg Vise in favor of a permanent Moxon in its place. I was forever catching a pocket, running into it or dealing with a jammed mechsnism.

Edge jointing is now done with large boards flat on the bench top - the only clamping maneuver I can't manage.

Diggin' the insight. I'm currently leaning to ditching the tail vise in favor of a moon vise and the veritas wonder dogs, or a simple wagon vise and going with the leg vise for the extra clearance from having the threaded rod be lower.

Have you looked at the twin turbo vise https://www.in-kleind.com/store/Twin...Vise-c34750217 for your end vise.

Blog Entries
    I don't have the money to throw down on Benchcrafted gear or the top end Veritas stuff, but I'm not looking for the bottom of the barrel so aim for middle priced/quality gear.
    Dolfo, This comment from your original post to me seems to be one important factor.

This is an inexpensive piece of equipment that would likely work fine for a leg vise >

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...ail-vise-screw

Currently my plan is to use a wooden screw for my leg vise. It is having a problem with weather changing. My plan may change. To avoid the bending over to set the pin in the guide board is a slowly hatching plan to use three pins, some springs, a pin guide and a foot pedal to make an automatic pin selector. Heck, if they can make automatic pin setters for bowling alleys why not make one for a simple vise's guide board.

Currently my tail vise is used more often than the face vise. It is simply a matter of how the shop is arranged. Here is one project that makes a lot of use of the tail vise > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?262272 < There are also methods of vise-less holding used. Also notice for mortise cutting the vise extenders used so the piece is resting on the bench instead of being in the vise's jaws.

The true measure of any vise is how well it can hold your work in various stages. At one time a wagon vise appealed to me. Then while doing different projects it occurred to me a wagon vise would not be able to conveniently hold much of the work being done.

There are many ways to hold one's work without either a face or tail vise. Having the vises makes it all much easier.

My evolving bench plan is to have at least three vises.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

11. Jim,

Since you mentioned foot pedal, I thought I'd share what I did with my bench....I made the Moravian workbench, and when I was researching it, I found that Wil Myers had made a version with a ratcheting leg vise. I liked the idea, so I used his instructions to make one - the one thing I changed was to use a foot pedal instead of the hand operated ratcheting mechanism Wil made. I thought the handle up near the top of the bench might get in the way more than a foot pedal would (probably not an issue but the foot pedal appealed to me). I'm including some pictures, don't know how clear they show how it works (you can see one picture of my foot about to flick the pedal in the 'up' position (disengage the ratchet)).

Anyway, I'm really pleased how well it works (no bending over!). Not in the same league as the Benchcrafted vises (I imagine, never used one), but it is very smooth and is definitely a huge upgrade from the pin versions. And the cost was right!

Andy

20200509_162617 - Edited.jpg20200509_162602 - Edited.jpg20200509_162554 - Edited.jpg20200509_162534 - Edited.jpg20200509_162527 - Edited.jpg20200509_162654 - Edited.jpg20200509_162630 - Edited.jpg

Blog Entries
    I made the Moravian workbench, and when I was researching it, I found that Wil Myers had made a version with a ratcheting leg vise. I liked the idea, so I used his instructions to make one - the one thing I changed was to use a foot pedal instead of the hand operated ratcheting mechanism Wil made. I thought the handle up near the top of the bench might get in the way more than a foot pedal would (probably not an issue but the foot pedal appealed to me).
    Thanks for sharing this Andy. This design was given some thought. Part of my motivation of using a pinsetter design is a personal challenge to see if it can be done.

My thoughts on hand operation was the same as yours.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

That Twin Turbo vise is IMPRESSIVE!
    anyone have experience with these?
    Does the two speed mechanism work seamless, or does the pull get hung up on the gears?
    with the angle accessory, they thought of everything!

I have no first hand experience but there are a few youtubers that have them and have made some positive review videos.