Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley new router plane box (how I store my router planes)

I got the flyer yesterday. I'll stick with my pegboard hook. All the cutters are stashed away in a drawer. While the box seems like a nice idea, it takes up space I don't have and the tool isn't as close at hand as I'd like
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Luter View Post
    I got the flyer yesterday. I'll stick with my pegboard hook. All the cutters are stashed away in a drawer. While the box seems like a nice idea, it takes up space I don't have and the tool isn't as close at hand as I'd like
    I'll just comment, Rob, that I bought the blade holder roll from LV for my cutters and like it because it keeps them organized and protected from banging around. When I need a different cutter, it's easy to find and as sharp as when I put it away. Also doesn't take much space.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Henderson View Post
    I'll just comment, Rob, that I bought the blade holder roll from LV for my cutters and like it because it keeps them organized and protected from banging around. When I need a different cutter, it's easy to find and as sharp as when I put it away. Also doesn't take much space.

Mike
    And I just realized that you can hang it.... Had not considered that until I saw it in the flyer.

I guess I should feel deprived....since I've never gotten one of these "flyers" of which you speak....

Still fighting a 20 year old Veritas plug cutter....

I'd prefer a roll-up to hold at least some of the 100 brace bits I have....( that I know about....)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    I guess I should feel deprived....since I've never gotten one of these "flyers" of which you speak....

I'd prefer a roll-up to hold at least some of the 100 brace bits I have....( that I know about....)
    I suspect that the flyer targeted people who previously purchased a router plane..

Also, I'm not sure that you really want a single roll for all 100 brace bits that would be both large and heavy

Hi Steven -

Glad to send you flyers .... just shoot me your address at rlee@leevalley.com , and I'll look after it.

The flyer mentioned above was only sent to people that had already purchased the router plane..... as it would not have held much interest for others.

Also - our catalogs and flyers are online on the website, or are also available through our library app for tablets (which is what I use).

Still can't beat a catalog for browsing things like hardware....!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I suspect that the flyer targeted people who previously purchased a router plane...
    It confirms your suspicion by opening, "If you received this in the mail, our records show you're the proud (hopefully!) wner of a Veritas router plane."

So yeah, it was targeted. To anyone feeling left out, while the flyer had prettier layout, nothing in it isn't on the website at the link Andrew provided or the related links.

ETA: and Rob beat me to it. (Customer service direct from the CEO. And some people wonder at our loyalty.)
    Last edited by David Bassett; 05-12-2020 at 12:59 PM. Reason: (addition)

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Has anyone else received the promotional flyer for the new LV router plane box? Mine came in the mail today.

I really love that LV has not only made this great offer but they're doing a great job making sure those that own their router plane know about it!

And just for the record: they now offer a 3/4" blade, at a special price; as well as the medium router also at a special price.

Thank you Rob and your fantastic marketing department. You can expect to hear from me shortly!
    Thanks Jeff. I know it's a bit like preaching to the converted.....we only mailed it to people who already had the plane!

The designer did a good job on the piece - relevant, and nicely presented. I have passed your comments on to the folks responsible - they'll sure appreciate them!

Cheers -

Rob

Quote Originally Posted by David Bassett View Post
    It confirms your suspicion by opening, "If you received this in the mail, our records show you're the proud (hopefully!) wner of a Veritas router plane."

So yeah, it was targeted. To anyone feeling left out, while the flyer had prettier layout, nothing in it isn't on the website at the link Andrew provided or the related links.
    Yeah - I can take some liberties with the style of the letter, when I know exactly who it's going to....

Cheers -

Rob

I'd say pull the plug on that.

I bought a couple of canvas rolls from Lee Valley to store my brace bits and wooden plough plane blades.

Relatively cheap.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

It sounded like you got a lot of use out of it and were simply figuring out how to sharpen it:

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ng-thread-quot

Did I miss something?

Tends to clog up easily. It will also snap the top half of the plug off. Drill press has to be run at it's slowest speed. I Need to hold the board in the vise, to make the plug cut, tends to want to walk across the board.
    Yes, I did "sharpen" it.....still snapped 6 out of 20 plugs... Have to drill down slowly, and raise the cutter often, to clear it of chips...otherwise, it will just clog up.

Ok, you've convinced me.

Thanks again, Rob! I still have the hand signed note I got from you 14 years ago with the spoke shave, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Lee View Post
    Thanks Jeff. I know it's a bit like preaching to the converted.....we only mailed it to people who already had the plane!

The designer did a good job on the piece - relevant, and nicely presented. I have passed your comments on to the folks responsible - they'll sure appreciate them!

Cheers -

Rob
    The flyer was indeed well done; it even caught my wife’s eye—she specifically brought it outside to show me. “I hesitated to tell you about this, but it’s discounted right now and. . .” Soon, I’ll be another owner of the new router plane box (and a few other items I managed to add to the order). Please accept and also pass along my sincere thanks for costing me some money.

I've been a real pandemic penny pincher, but I also placed an order for the router plane box last night.
    I currently store it in its original cardboard box and the accessories are just loose in there.

Looking forward to receiving it.