Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jet vs Supermax drum sander

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    The quick adjust handle for overall drum height is only on the Supermax 16-32, not the Supermax 19-38. I recently bought a Supermax 19-38 and it's all hand-cranking.

Models from both manufacturers have the table adjustment that helps remove ridges when sanding something wider than the drum.
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    Ok, my mistake. I thought they both had the same features.
    Good clarification. Don't confuse the Fast Lever that slightly tilts the table with the Quick Height Adjust feature. I have never missed the QR feature BUT, I also don't have it on my router lift and sent my QR workbench vises down the road years ago. This is a feature that has great value to some and not to others; both are right.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 19-38, I got it over the 16-32 because it has a 4" depth capacity, vs 3" for the 16-32. I use mine almost every day, often to flatten glued up rings of blocks, and with 80 grit the glue has never been a problem. Mine saves me a lot of time and gives me some more precision, for instrument building I wouldn't want to be without one. For things like cutting boards they might be too slow to be practical, but I need to machine small amounts of wood to a very consistent thickness and avoid tearout, so it works great for me. I've never been around a Jet, though I have other Jet tools and am very pleased with them.

Well, I ordered the Supermax 1938. In the end, the Jets I was looking at were out of stock until late June/July, and Acme had the Supermax in stock. It should be here next week. Thanks everyone for the info!

I bought mine from Acme last month and they were a pleasure to deal with. Enjoy your new tool.

Congrats! Acme is who actually shipped my DRO for the 19-38 when I ordered it on Amazon.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I ordered mine through Acme as well, although I ordered the extension tables from someone else (Beaver Industrial) because I think they were out of stock at Acme at the time.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I got mine from ACME two years ago, it took a little while to get here by truck from North Dakota but I expected that, and everything went very smoothly.

I'm looking at one from Toolnut but have not pulled the lever - still investigating which one I want. I've always had good luck with Toolnut

Good luck with your purchase, whichever one you go with. Do you realize this thread is about 2 1/2 years old?