Thread: 7200 Year Old Wooden Well

7200 Year Old Wooden Well

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart...ure-180974137/
    A true Neander marvel. I would not want to have to do oak joinery with tools only made from stones, bones, horns, or wood. Although the sharpening threads back then must have been epic.

dji_0622_studna_1600_125475_126005.jpg

Blog Entries
    Great find, thanks for sharing this.

Sharpening threads were on my mind earlier this evening. My reading time was focused on a Fine Woodworking magazine from 1978. There was an article on methods of sharpening from four or five different woodworker/writers.

Things haven't changed much.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Great find, thanks for sharing this.

Sharpening threads were on my mind earlier this evening. My reading time was focused on a Fine Woodworking magazine from 1978. There was an article on methods of sharpening from four or five different woodworker/writers.

Things haven't changed much.

jtk
    Nor will they . Of course I'm as guilty as anyone, they are like catnip. Did you see C.S. posted about flatting the back of cutters a couple of days ago?

ken

I saw the article for this old well also. I was a bit miffed that they didn't show close ups of the joinery.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ken hatch View Post
    Nor will they . Of course I'm as guilty as anyone, they are like catnip. Did you see C.S. posted about flatting the back of cutters a couple of days ago?

ken
    Yes, it didn't sway how my blade prep will continue to be done.

What many folks do not realize is many of the planes from a century past may not have been used by master craftsmen/women. Those that were may have also passed through the hands of a descendant who then didn't know what they were doing when it came to sharpening a blade. Many of my planes came from ebay. Many of those appeared to have blades only touched by a bench grinder for blade sharpening. For rough work this was likely good enough.

Maybe this is why many people think after planing comes sanding. Since learning more about planes my wood work is rarely touched by sandpaper.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Yes, it didn't sway how my blade prep will continue to be done.

What many folks do not realize is many of the planes from a century past may not have been used by master craftsmen/women. Those that were may have also passed through the hands of a descendant who then didn't know what they were doing when it came to sharpening a blade. Many of my planes came from ebay. Many of those appeared to have blades only touched by a bench grinder for blade sharpening. For rough work this was likely good enough.

Maybe this is why many people think after planing comes sanding. Since learning more about planes my wood work is rarely touched by sandpaper.

jtk
    I certainly agree with you, Jim. Hand tool skills were in serious decline by 1830. The idea that we are going to get inspiration from a 1941 booklet is peculiar. We cannot expect a 19th or 20th century tool to come into our hands straight from a fine craftsman.

That is an interesting post Freiler.

I've been thinking it should be reposted in either the completed projects sub forum or the projects finishing sub forum. Some good tips on wood preservation.