Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need #3 x 1/4” black flathead screws

I need #3 x 1/4” black flathead screws

I’ve been looking for #3 x 1/4” black flathead screws for awhile. I at looking online so could someone please help me find nice ones. I ordered them from some place and when I received them they looked as if they were painted. I was very disappointed. Thanks again, Terry
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 05-06-2020 at 9:22 PM.
    Two T's Woodshop

Blog Entries
    So you're looking for black oxide finished screws? If painted wasn't good I guess we need to know what the required finish is. Microfasteners has #2 x 5/16 but, skips #3 and jumps to #4. Smallest McFeely's will go is #4 in a FHWS. Can you show us the application? Maybe we can get you something that will work.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Blog Entries
    Buy some #3 x 1/4" zinc plated screws at Home Depot and then blacken them via the procedure outlined here.

Recipes for turning zinc black

1. Black for zinc:
    200 gm iron chloride
    1 lit water

2. Black for zinc:

1 heaping teaspoon salt
    2 heaping teaspoons copper sulphate
    1 cup water(200 ccm)

Just do a google search for turning zinc black.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I need semi-gloss black screws for the turn buttons on the back of the picture frames.
    Two T's Woodshop

Try Blacksmith Bolts. They have #12 x 3" wood screws. Is that what you need? They have lots of choices on screws and they are good screws that can stand some driving and not turn out.
    David

We use machinist's tool black.

https://www.mcmaster.com/91253a092

McMaster Carr is often the answer. they have both 3-48 x 1/4 and 3-56 x 1/4 in a black oxide finish.

You could use brass screws. I regularly do this to make hardware look old.

Get unlacquered brass screws, or strip the lacquer off. Sink the screws into a soft wood board, past the threads, in slightly oversize holes. Spray them with sodium hydroxide oven cleaner. Wait a day. Rinse them off, and take them out of the board. The heads will be dark brown, like a US 10 B dark bronze finish. If you scratch the oxidized finish, it an be touched up with a black Sharpie (not gold seal version).

Did you check McFeelys? They are the source for all things screws.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    I need semi-gloss black screws for the turn buttons on the back of the picture frames.
    I think the only way you're going to get gloss or semi-gloss black is with painted screws.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Try Blacksmith Bolts. They have #12 x 3" wood screws. Is that what you need? They have lots of choices on screws and they are good screws that can stand some driving and not turn out.
    He needs a #3 size screw, not a #12. #12 would be a bit of overkill for the back of a picture frame.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jim I've always been proud of my ability to carefully read things and note the minute details. Always glad to be a help. Somehow I read that as a need for 1/4" by 3" long screws - sort of a dyslexia thing?
    David

Bear Woods Supply offers #3x1/4 black Phillips head wood screws. https://www.bearwood.com/black-phill....4-sc-505.html

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Starch View Post
    When I hear "Back of Picture Frames" I think "Against Wall and Unseen". What does the gloss level matter?
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Jim I've always been proud of my ability to carefully read things and note the minute details. Always glad to be a help. Somehow I read that as a need for 1/4" by 3" long screws - sort of a dyslexia thing?
    Well, that frame wouldn't come off the wall for sure if he uses the screws you mentioned. LOL But yea...I had to read it twice, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...