Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Laser replacement options/sources

Laser replacement options/sources

I have a Jamieson captured hollowing rig. Bought it used from a club member. It came with two lasers. But no matter which lase I use it keeps acting up and cutting out - even with fresh batteries! I know I can buy one direct from Lyle Jamieson for $30 plus shipping but was wondering if anyone had other sources or recommendations on lasers for hollowing rigs?

Thanks
    Ricc

The problem is the vibration messes with the battery contacts. Direct wire it with a transformer - https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....ion&highlight=

Left click my name for homepage link.

3. I also found that Lyle's laser light did not hold up well, presumably from the vibration. There's any number of laser "pens" on Amazon for $10-$15. You may need to make adjustments/modify the laser holding clamp on the Jamieson rig to accommodate a different laser pen.

I had an issue with my Jamieson laser. I contacted him and he sent me a new one free of charge. Nice guy, wonderful customer service.

I too had problems with my laser system and found changing to a camera and tv system removed the issues
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    I had an issue with my Jamieson laser. I contacted him and he sent me a new one free of charge. Nice guy, wonderful customer service.

Richard, I didn't buy this direct from him. I bought it used from a club member so no expected warranty. I didn't want him to feel like he had to give me a new one since I didn't buy from him.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    I too had problems with my laser system and found changing to a camera and tv system removed the issues

Peter, that's my ultimate goal. But, I can't afford the video system right now on my disability income. Buying the hollowing system used took the extra bucks I had set aside. Maybe someday!

Thanks
    Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Peter, that's my ultimate goal. But, I can't afford the video system right now on my disability income. Buying the hollowing system used took the extra bucks I had set aside. Maybe someday!

Thanks
    Ricc
    If you have an old laptop, you can do a video system for about $15. Pull the laser from the Jamieson holder and slip in an inspection camera from eBay. Run it to the laptop, throw a piece of acetate over the screen, and layout your envelope with a dry erase marker. Half the price of a replacement laser. If you don't have an old laptop, used ones are always available on Craigslist or put a call out to friends and neighbors. That's what I did, and have a laptop that I use, plus a backup. So I truly have less than $15 in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Coers View Post
    If you have an old laptop, you can do a video system for about $15. Pull the laser from the Jamieson holder and slip in an inspection camera from eBay. Run it to the laptop, throw a piece of acetate over the screen, and layout your envelope with a dry erase marker. Half the price of a replacement laser. If you don't have an old laptop, used ones are always available on Craigslist or put a call out to friends and neighbors. That's what I did, and have a laptop that I use, plus a backup. So I truly have less than $15 in mine.

Richard, thanks for the idea. I don't have a laptop. I did check local craigslist. No cheap one available. Must be due to the stay at home orders and all the home schooling. but the cheapest in my area on CL was $125. My budget is tight due to disability income. I've looked at other DYI video systems using small monitors used for backup cameras and those systems cost about the same as buying the used laptop itself. So I'll just have to hold off for now on the video system unless I come across a real cheap laptop or something.

Thanks
    Ricc

Quote Originally Posted by Ricc Havens View Post
    Richard, thanks for the idea. I don't have a laptop. I did check local craigslist. No cheap one available. Must be due to the stay at home orders and all the home schooling. but the cheapest in my area on CL was $125. My budget is tight due to disability income. I've looked at other DYI video systems using small monitors used for backup cameras and those systems cost about the same as buying the used laptop itself. So I'll just have to hold off for now on the video system unless I come across a real cheap laptop or something.

Thanks
    Ricc
    Do you have a smart phone? You can get those inspection cameras with a micro usb plug that will plug into any android phone. I am sure they make them with apple connectors as well. I use one that plugs into my android tablet.

Simple wood working tools has a 120 volt to 5 volt USB combo laser , I have had real good luck with , no battery's a plus to me. It might take some fitting to your stuff though. but to look at on their site might help.

Chris - I do have a smart phone but don't want to use it for a camera monitor. I have vision issues and would want a larger monitor than a smart phone.

David thanks - I'll check it out.

Thanks everyone for the ideas!

Ricc

Not sure how much help it might be but I did do a blog about my system a few years ago. There Might still be a tidbit or two that could be helpful. One thing for sure is that I went through a few different pieces before I settled on my system and maybe this could help others. If you are interested please check it out at https://woodbowlsandthings.wordpress...52&action=edit
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

I have several older laptops from my kids college days sitting around in the basement. I assume they run earlier windows systems like Win 2000 or Win XP. None have built in cameras. What would it take to use these with a camera? Is it just a matter of finding a driver? Ricc, I would be glad to send you one if I could get it to work with a camera. Time to clean out the basement of kid's stuff that has been here for too many years.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Williams View Post
    I have several older laptops from my kids college days sitting around in the basement. I assume they run earlier windows systems like Win 2000 or Win XP. None have built in cameras. What would it take to use these with a camera? Is it just a matter of finding a driver? Ricc, I would be glad to send you one if I could get it to work with a camera. Time to clean out the basement of kid's stuff that has been here for too many years.
    The camera I bought is a USB and didn't boot up right away. They included a software disc, so loaded that, and now there is a shortcut on the screen to start it. Now you can get a WiFi camera for $22. Countless number of cameras on eBay, but look for operating system compatibility.