Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Split top Roubo bench build

Looks fantastic Mark. The swing-out stool is next level!
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

Wow...outstanding work on that bench! It looks great!

Time to put the first dents and dings in it! LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Looks great Mark! Your Instagram page is cool too. If I may ask, what career change did you make?

Looks really good!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post
    Agreed Tom, that stool is pure genius, I'm going to see if one would work with my bench......Rod.

Thanks Jim, as far as the first dent, check... the very first time i went to use the holdfast in the leg for real i missed on the first swing of the hammer...lol 32EE0E4C-FEAD-404D-B326-33B2331D5B7A.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Wow...outstanding work on that bench! It looks great!

Time to put the first dents and dings in it! LOL

Thanks Tom, I kinda was thinking the swing out stool was a little bit much but I like it!

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bain View Post

Thanks, I originally went to school for furniture making then had a business building custom furniture and eventually architectural millwork, banks hospitals ect. I closed that down and worked at several other shops in many different capacities, I then when back to school for Mechanical engineering as an adult and since then have worked mostly in testing and validation, first at GE Aviation Metrology Lab and Engine test (mostly military, t700 Blackhawk and for a short time the f136 until it Had a fuel leak and fire in the test cell and then got cancelled).
    I currently work in validation of industrial controls, temperature and motion controls at a very large injection molding company (we make the equipment not parts) I am the technical lead and have several validators, basically I am a project manager - I get paid to find problems and break stuff, what could be more fun? Well woodworking...lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bartley View Post
    Looks great Mark! Your Instagram page is cool too. If I may ask, what career change did you make?

Rod, I like it a lot more than I thought would. Before I finished the Roubo I had it on my old bench to figure out what height i wanted to mount it, I ended up mounting higher than recommend as I like to sit at the bench and review plans, sketch, use computer ect. The other thing is that my old bench had an overhang so when sitting it put you to close to the edge of the top, not terrible and is workable but now that I have it on the Roubo where the leg is flush with the top it is a lot better.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Agreed Tom, that stool is pure genius, I'm going to see if one would work with my bench......Rod.

Hold up a minute there catfish - we blew right past "the first dent". You mean to tell me that you built that beautiful statement piece of a workbench and then missed the great big holdfast with your hammer? Something ain't right here, has to be a story behind this event. "Here, hold my beer and gimmee that hammer...........".
    David

Beer? Whats that, that couldn’t have been the case...

Quote Originally Posted by David Eisenhauer View Post
    Hold up a minute there catfish - we blew right past "the first dent". You mean to tell me that you built that beautiful statement piece of a workbench and then missed the great big holdfast with your hammer? Something ain't right here, has to be a story behind this event. "Here, hold my beer and gimmee that hammer...........".

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    Thanks Jim, as far as the first dent, check... the very first time i went to use the holdfast in the leg for real i missed on the first swing of the hammer...lol 32EE0E4C-FEAD-404D-B326-33B2331D5B7A.jpg

--

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Derek, love your bench.....
    Jerry

Mark very nice workbench be sure to post the first wood project you use it to create. The swing out stool seat is a great idea. Where did you get the hardware for it? I want to put one on my bench.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Necaise View Post
    Mark very nice workbench be sure to post the first wood project you use it to create. The swing out stool seat is a great idea. Where did you get the hardware for it? I want to put one on my bench.
    It looks like the one from Benchcrafted. There are others out there; google with "swing-out seat" or "swing-out stool". You'll also find shop-built wooden ones, which are cool.