Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sources for used machines

Sources for used machines

Almost 2 years ago now I geared up to buy a new CNC Router Parts (now Avid CNC) machine. My wife instead wanted an RV (which I also wanted), so the toy budget went in that direction instead.

Now I’ve been back in the market for a CNC and this time around I’m considering being a bit more adventurous and getting a used (and maybe older / stouter) machine. I’ve been watching CNCzone.com, Craigslist and the local auction sites and coming up with very very few options. Where are people looking for used CNC machines? What am I doing wrong? I expected atleast a handful of these things to come up for sale in the last 6 months or so.

One rub is that I really can only comfortably fit a 48x48 or 50x50 machine in my shop. I had big plans to fit a 48x96, but it would really push my space beyond the limit.

Where should I be looking? Has the market just been slow recently? Am I looking in the wrong places?

Maybe check out the Camaster forum for used machines. Perhaps Jim can give you some ideas on how to proceed and what to look for. I assume that your budget is still in the $10-12K range.
    David
    Last edited by David Buchhauser; 05-06-2020 at 8:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Almost 2 years ago now I geared up to buy a new CNC Router Parts (now Avid CNC) machine. My wife instead wanted an RV (which I also wanted), so the toy budget went in that direction instead.

Now I’ve been back in the market for a CNC and this time around I’m considering being a bit more adventurous and getting a used (and maybe older / stouter) machine. I’ve been watching CNCzone.com, Craigslist and the local auction sites and coming up with very very few options. Where are people looking for used CNC machines? What am I doing wrong? I expected atleast a handful of these things to come up for sale in the last 6 months or so.

One rub is that I really can only comfortably fit a 48x48 or 50x50 machine in my shop. I had big plans to fit a 48x96, but it would really push my space beyond the limit.

Where should I be looking? Has the market just been slow recently? Am I looking in the wrong places?
    I have a 48x48 one listed here in the Classifieds. Its a bit far for someone in Washington state however.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Used machines do come up but they also usually sell fast, especially for quality brands. They also hold value. There is a Camster Singer II SR-44 with a lot of stuff listed in the Camheads (Camaster) forum classifieds right now.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I might also mention I got a 10% off deal from Camaster last week, not sure if that applies to everyone or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    I might also mention I got a 10% off deal from Camaster last week, not sure if that applies to everyone or what?
    Yes, there seems to be a current promotion like that based on comments I've seen although it also seems to be part of the conversation with the sales team. Historically, they occasionally had offers for 10% off accessories, etc., but 10% across the board is a very nice deal on a very high quality product with lifetime support. (including future owners if resold)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-06-2020 at 11:57 AM.
    --

It seems to run in cycles. None for sale then everyone wants to sell theirs. Unless you get lucky you usually have to extend your search outside of your local area for CL and drive to pick up. Not sure what your budget is but last I heard from Acctek USA, they were offering a 4x4 with a spindle around $4000 and deliver it to you.

Quote Originally Posted by bobby milam View Post
    It seems to run in cycles. None for sale then everyone wants to sell theirs. Unless you get lucky you usually have to extend your search outside of your local area for CL and drive to pick up. Not sure what your budget is but last I heard from Acctek USA, they were offering a 4x4 with a spindle around $4000 and deliver it to you.
    Looks like China made to me, and with a spindle? I have nearly $1,000 alone in my spindle, mount and Hitachi VFD.

Jim, For some reason, even with an account, I can't see any of the pictures on CAMheads.

I guess my budget is in the 12k range, but it really depends on the machine. Given how many homebrew machines are out there it's really hard to tell what's a quality investment and what's not. For example this machine (https://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/t...118991152.html) keeps popping up on CL, but I have no clue if it's a hodepdge or solid bet.

Also, I know this might be sacrilege, but I wonder if some of the 48x96 machines could be assembled as 48x48. The 4x8's just come up for sale much more frequently. I've been watching one of these two for months:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/est/t...119354931.html
    https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/b...114408285.html

Bill, I did see yours listed in the classifieds. I think for practical purposes you're just a bit too far away. I've been keeping my search area to WA, OR and even northern CA / ID. That's almost 800 miles, which is about as far as I'd be willing to drive with my pickup/trailer. I'd like to see what I'm buying (as I really know very little about these things) so unless new, freight isn't something I'm considering.

Ben go to the Cam Master website to see pictures of the machines. Shipping a used machine is going to be expensive, even mine came in on a double pallet and the stand was a DIY put together. Mine is steel and heavy, with the stand and all it would need to be on a 6x9 foot trailer and it weighs 700 lbs or more.
    Cam Master has some good deals going on right now, I would just order a new one.

Shipping is a consideration new or used. The problem with shipping used is finding someone to crate the machines and deal with the shipper. Quotes for shipping of my machine varied from $2k to $4k (it was new).

I would watch Camheads for a used machine. The nice thing there is you can typically find the complete history of the machine searching the name of the owner. Finding used 24"x36" machines is fairly common as most discover how handy they are and want to cut larger. Those in the 48x48 size range are typically spaced locked, so upgrading it less common.

The craiglist CNC would give me great pause. The amount of plywood on that suggests he discovered how flexible their frame was after they built it. It might run, but it could have some interesting wiring and all sorts of headaches to fix if you start digging in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Looks like China made to me, and with a spindle? I have nearly $1,000 alone in my spindle, mount and Hitachi VFD.
    Yea, they're the importer for that Chinese brand. I have the 4x8 machine from them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Grefe View Post
    Jim, For some reason, even with an account, I can't see any of the pictures on CAMheads. .
    Make sure your account is fully activated...you will not see photos until it is. If there's a problem with that, message me privately with the user name and I'll ding Jim McGrew to assist.

Also, I know this might be sacrilege, but I wonder if some of the 48x96 machines could be assembled as 48x48. The 4x8's just come up for sale much more frequently. I've been watching one of these two for months:
    If I'm not mistaken, the AVID CNC folks have "upgrade" kits to take a 4x4 to a 4x8.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If I'm not mistaken, the AVID CNC folks have "upgrade" kits to take a 4x4 to a 4x8.
    We took a couple of them out to 16'. Mainly because we needed it for the product. But it came in handy to set up 4x8 sheets 2 at a time, so we could be pulling parts off one end while it was running at the other. Saved me a fair bit of time cutting laminations for molds.

That makes a lot of sense, Wes...kinda a "poor man's" sheet loader feature. If you can pull the parts fast enough and setup a replacement sheet, you could keep on cutting all day long that way I would think.

I kinda wish I could "stretch" my machine at this point, despite the space constraints in my shop. While I don't do a lot of sheet goods work, in hindsight, another 4' of bed would enable several operations that might be useful to me (slab flattening, etc) in addition to being able to slap a full sheet on rather than a half sheet for less waste on those few sheet goods projects I do run.
    --