Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Inset Kitchen Sink false fronts

Inset Kitchen Sink false fronts

Long time browser, first time poster here!
    I’m building inset kitchen cabinets, and I hit a snag with the false/dummy (I’m not sure what they should be called) sink fronts. In hindsight, I’m realizing I should have made two larger doors or one long false drawer front, or at least installed it all before the sink and countertop were installed. Alas, I’m a newbie with a bigger imagination than skill (I may not have attempted this kitchen build otherwise!), so this is the situation that I’m in now.
    Does anyone have any ideas of the best way to install two inset false fronts in these openings? I’m using 3/4 hard maple. The face frames are also 3/4 hard maple. The middle stile is 1 1/2” wide, and the end stiles have about 9/16” reveal inside the cabinets. There’s about 1 1/2” of space from the inside of the middle stile to the sink, so I don’t have much working room to attach anything to the back of the opening.
    I would be greatly appreciate if anyone has a solution for me!
    Please see attached pictures for reference. (the doors and drawers will be painted also once I get some warmer weather!)
    EC6E8137-225E-44FB-9FE5-E4CEB0740CDF.jpg46679722-F554-4D64-AC34-78640C789720.jpg

The quick & dirty and cheap way:

Make some 1/4" thick backer pieces that span top to bottom on the left and right of each opening. Glue them onto the backs of the faceframes with construction adhesive. Now make your false fronts and glue those onto the backers you installed yesterday, shimming the reveals on all sides until the adhesive sets up.

Glue and clamp a backer board across the width that fills the openings entirely...you should be able to use screws at the outer stiles based on the photos with or without a right-angle drill/driver. It doesn't have to be thick and heavy. Tack glue the false fronts to that board. Ideally you would have made the false fronts the exact size of the openings and just cut a reveal recess around the perimeter for visual purposes. If you didn't, be sure to paint the backer board black at the perimeters so it's "invisible" through the cracks. Oh, if your false fronts get pulls, be sure they are installed first and the fastener is recessed so you can get those fronts flat on the backer board.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Or you could use cabinet false front clips. Google will find you many varieties that can be installed after the fact. They allow you to remove and replace the fronts at will, although in your case that's not really needed.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Don't beat yourself up. Inset drawer fronts and doors for your first kitchen cabinets. You are a brave man, and the results look great.

John

Install a couple of glued on boards on the inside. Then install dummy drawer fronts with handles. Use really long screws for the handles. Magnets would also work. Maybe magnets just to hold them tight while the glue dries and abandon the magnets in place after the glue is dry.
    Bill D

I had the same issue with a vanity I built. I made a false drawer front screwed two pieces of wood to the back of the false front that i could still turn to 90* to the opening after inserting the false front into cabinet opening.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Troy, very nicely done. Surprised that this was maiden vogyage, as it certainly looks pro quality.

I use a variation of the french cleat ... the false-front is then readily removable providing directional eye-sight if any work needs to be done.

2020-05-FrontMtg.jpg

Great idea!

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post
    I use a variation of the french cleat ... the false-front is then readily removable providing directional eye-sight if any work needs to be done.

2020-05-FrontMtg.jpg
    Dirty easy trick. Thanks for share.

When I made our kitchen I had one of those and simply glued it at place. Your idea is more convenient.

Sam. I'm in agreement with Osvaldo on this: GREAT IDEA. Thank you for sharing. Patrick

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Glue and clamp a backer board across the width that fills the openings entirely...you should be able to use screws at the outer stiles based on the photos with or without a right-angle drill/driver. It doesn't have to be thick and heavy. Tack glue the false fronts to that board. Ideally you would have made the false fronts the exact size of the openings and just cut a reveal recess around the perimeter for visual purposes. If you didn't, be sure to paint the backer board black at the perimeters so it's "invisible" through the cracks. Oh, if your false fronts get pulls, be sure they are installed first and the fastener is recessed so you can get those fronts flat on the backer board.
    This.. just attach the false fronts like a end panel false door

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Puhalovich View Post

2020-05-FrontMtg.jpg
    Dang...that's a really great idea!!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Thank you all so much for the feedback!
    Jim Becker, I’ve read so many of your responses on other posts that have been extremely helpful. Thank you for your investment in helping us all develop our skills!
    Sam, I love that idea. I may need to modify that idea a bit for the inset front, but I like that it could be removable if needed.
    I felt pretty lost last week, but I feel great about having a few options moving forward. So, thank you!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Dang...that's a really great idea!!
    I'm lost on how that would work for inset?

I like it better than the plastic clips for overlay though.