Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Disappointed in Vega Fence - Anyone ever return to them?

Disappointed in Vega Fence - Anyone ever return to them?

Hi - I'm a total newbie just getting started in woodworking wanting to have a hobby that I can do with my now retired dad so we've started upgrading some of his tools, starting with his table saw. Having read generally good reviews we settled on getting the Vega Pro 40 Fence system. After a bit of back and forth with them over the phone we ended up purchasing directly from Vega and had it within a week. Once we unpacked it, the excitement quickly turned to disappointment. This thing is very visibly used. Huge deep scratches running down the rails, the brackets for the tables have the finish chipped off and clearly had a table attached to them, the fence itself has a deep scratch in the aluminum, the measuring tape was peeling and I could go on. I'm not going to touch on my disappointment with the build quality as that is another issue into itself. I hoped the used fence was an honest mistake, so I contacted Vega immediately to see what my options were. No reply via email after a few days, so I tried calling and left a voicemail, also no reply. In the end, I sent 4 emails and left 3 messages over 10 days but never got a response. Wondering if they maybe closed due to covid, I sent an email from a different email account asking a basic product question and got a reply in under an hour. They were simply blowing me off. Now my dad and I are furious that we spent $419 to get this fence system and can't even get a reply from the manufacturer. I ended up opening a dispute on my credit card and am waiting for something on that front.

Has anyone recently returned a fence to them or even gotten them to respond with an issue like this? After this experience I absolutely want nothing to do with this company and don't trust them, their products, and especially not their QC. $419 isn't a cheap sum and we feel cheated.

Blog Entries
    I can tell by your tone in the post that you are a bit unhappy right now, granted. If I received a used or demo product when I paid for a new one I would return it absolutely. Given these uncertain times, the lack of response may just be poor performance on their part and not intentional neglect. I would use the path that got you a response and ask for direction to customer service. I do not recall any noise on the forums about Vega having poor CS and hope it is just a symptom of the times. I'll assume you have all this info:

9585 Bruce Rd. Decatur, IL 62526
    Phone: (217) 963-2232
    Fax: (217) 963-2246
    email: remvega@aol.com

They also have a Facebook presence. I don't use Facebook so cannot help you directly. I did peek via SWMBO's account and see some other discussion of slow or no response right now. Hope they take care of you.

That being said, I have never really liked round rail fences ever since the 70's Delta saws. The Vega fence is head and shoulders above the old Delta but, i just can't get past it. In their price tier there are Beisemeyer clones that I would rather have. Again, this is a result of my past experiences and none of those are with the Vega product. I'm just tossing out food for thought if your current situation results in a return.

However this works out, at this price point you should be VERY happy. If you feel you have been wronged or had to 'settle' it will haunt you till you rid yourself of the offender . . . oh, that was me talking from my experience again. I don't do well with dissatisfaction ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-05-2020 at 5:15 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you, I really appreciate the help and the reply. I am super frustrated, and me getting this with my dad has compounded it. I sold him on this fence being the right choice for us and the added bonus of it being a small American company that still manufactures here was really appealing.

Appreciate the suggestions on the Biesemeyer clones, are there any specifically that you'd recommend?

Blog Entries
    Flying in the face of the many suggestions I assume you will get . . . The Saw Stop T-Glide fence system is a great fence. Easy and wide range of adjustments, fence faces easy to remove, change out or replace, very heavy and rock solid. That said, most t-square style fences with 2" x 3" fence tubes are rock solid. I think the Saw Stop is pushing $500 so you would want to call Rockler or some other dealer and ask.

Very Super Cool Tools has an interesting offer but, by the time you get all the parts in your shopping cart the price gets up there.The Shop Fox Classic gets good reviews and at the other end of the spectrum the Delta T-3 at around $200 is a good fit for a lot of folks. I have an old Beisemeyer Commercial which is a beast and I love it despite its (now) fundumental features. My Saw Stop T-Glide is more adjustable and has the replaceable / shim-able faces so you would have to weigh what is right for you.

I'm sure you will get more input here. The VSCT offering requires you to make your own rails. The fence tube should be machined to be accurate. Regardless of how easy they make it sound, steel tube stock is about as accurate as the edge of a piece of plywood is straight.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 05-05-2020 at 7:49 PM.

– Samuel Butler

I hope Vega steps up and makes it right for you. I've had a Vega Pro 50 on my saw for about 10 years now and have nothing but good things to say about it. Easy on/off, very rigid, very straight, the micro adjust is awesome, locks securely without great effort, and I think maybe I've realigned it once in those 10 years. It just does what it's supposed to. Hang in there, you will like it once you get it sorted out.

John

I have had my Vega 52" fence for more than 25 yrs or so. Even after all that time it still performs like new. Sorry agout your problem with Vega. Hope it gets settled soon.
    Bob

Blog Entries
    Judging from John and Bob's experiences I would say you already have the fence you want. The outstanding issue may be a discussion about the "demo" condition.

– Samuel Butler

I have the Vega 40 fence and it's great. The cardboard grey piece on mine had a 3/4" crack on arrival, but I didn't try to replace because it doesn't impact anything.

The Very Super Cool Tools seems neat though I'm sure I want to delve into making rails. I was actually looking at Saw Stop fences initially but ended up going with Vega, depending how this pans out I may need to revisit that.

This is one of the reasons I chose to go with them, the reviews have by and large been great, until I look at some recent feedback.

I have had the Delta T2 for 5 or 6 years now (don't know the difference between it and the T3, they look the same), it's a simple solid fence, no issues. Hard to find up here in Canada but down south I think it is sold by Home Depot among others.

I bought a Vega around a year ago. I was extremely disappointed in the build quality. The machining looks like it was done by a 12 year old in their garage. The slots on the aluminum mounting brackets looked like someone chewed them out with their teeth. There were sharp burrs on everything. I had to file almost every edge and corner on the unit.
    That being said, it functions fine, adjusts well, and seems to hold parallel well. I am just disappointed that it wasn’t a refined product i would expect from and American made unit. It seemed very “thrown together”. I voiced these complaints not expecting a replacement and got zero response despite being respectful in the email.

What a total drag to pay for a new fence that you believed in, only to receive a used unit that may or may not perform as expected. If it all works out that you return your Vega, no pun intended, please consider a Beismeyer. So many fences are compared to the Beis, because of its simplicity, rock solid performance and superior build quality. I got smart and got one more than 10 years ago and have not had to readjust it since I originally set it up on my PM2000.

Blog Entries
    Have you tried calling your CC company to have the charges reversed? That would be the thing to do if you're not getting any joy from Vega.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    Have you tried calling your CC company to have the charges reversed? That would be the thing to do if you're not getting any joy from Vega.
    Great advice! Done it before, myself.