Thread: Resources for planer setup/adjustment?

Resources for planer setup/adjustment?

Back in December 2019 I posted about a used JET JWP-15CS planer (708529) I had purchased, and I am just now getting to the point I'm ready to use it. Pretty much abandoned my shop for a few months, now I'm back at it. I rewired the power cord and installed a new 220V receptacle, and fired it up for the first time over the weekend.

Now - some issues. First, when starting it up, the whole thing seems to jump/thump like it's hard starting. I took the belt cover off and the whole inside of the belt cover is coated in belt bits - small black crumbly particles. The belts appear intact but I think a new set of good belts are in order. I haven't tried starting it without the belts connected, to see if it's the belts or the motor causing the thump/jump, but that's next. My jointer and table saw both do kind of a similar thing, just not as distinct, so maybe it's normal.

Second - when running, it sounds normal and seems fine. I grabbed a rough sawn pine 2x4, measured the thickness at 1-7/8" and set the scale at 1-7/8". It refused to feed the board at first, then fed very hard, I actually had to force the board into the machine. It got stuck several times and I had to physically pull it out of the other side of the machine. First thought is that I made too heavy a cut. I backed off the cut depth one full turn of the handwheel, and it wouldn't cut at all, but still fed very hard. So there's something majorly out of adjustment, and I am certain that I need to change the knives. I also don't know if these are resharpenable, I haven't checked. I think they are, so I will send the old set out, as I have a new set. I also need to check the scale, not sure it's accurate.

I am looking for any resources - web sites, books, anything that will help me properly adjust and tune this machine for optimal use. I am used to a lunchbox planer - quite a no-brainer, especially with disposable knives. I have no experience with cleaning, adjusting and tuning a larger "professional" quality machine. Also a source for new knives if anyone has any good reliable vendors. I know Amazon has them but I would prefer a good specialty vendor that deals with blades, bits and cutters.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

The manual for the machine should have information on adjustment, and if you don't have the manual, most are available online. I quickly found the manual for what I assume is a close cousin at: https://content.jettools.com/assets/...538_man_EN.pdf. Even if this isn't your planer, the different adjustments are covered and are probably translatable to your model.

It sounds like an alignment problem among the cutterhead, infeed/outfeed rollers, and chipbreaker (if there is one).

In my experience with other four-post planers, the depth of cut gauge is notoriously inaccurate. Some have adjustable indicators that you can calibrate. However, that doesn't account for the feed problems you describe.

If the machine has been sitting, the grime on the planer bed can cause a lot of friction. Scrub the planer bed with steel wool and then put paste wax (or your favorite treatment. . .but nothing with silicone in it) on it. Makes a huge difference.

Best,

Dave

Search YouTube for Bob Vaughan planer setup. It covers using a dial indicator and simple fixtures for setting knives, feed roller, pressure bar, chipbreaker, etc. I think he demonstrates on an old Parks planer but I'm sure some or most of it would apply.

As far as knives go, I am happy with the Amana T1 knives in my jointer, great improvement over the stock knives which chipped if you looked at them wrong. If they make them for this planer I'd recommend them.

when you get the belt off check the pulleys for grooves on the insides of the pulleys.

OK thanks for the advice and leads, guys. I will post back when I get it opened up and make some adjustments. Will admit that the planer bed is filthy and probably has never been waxed. That's first on the list.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    Search YouTube for Bob Vaughan planer setup. It covers using a dial indicator and simple fixtures for setting knives, feed roller, pressure bar, chipbreaker, etc. I think he demonstrates on an old Parks planer but I'm sure some or most of it would apply.

As far as knives go, I am happy with the Amana T1 knives in my jointer, great improvement over the stock knives which chipped if you looked at them wrong. If they make them for this planer I'd recommend them.
    I second both of Roberts recomendations. I also own a book called "Care and repair of shop machines" by John White it covers setup and adjustment of the major shop machines and is an excellent reference.