Thread: Jet variable speed - issue with speed/gear sensor

Jet variable speed - issue with speed/gear sensor

I have a 1221vs lathe. The other night it was acting wonky with regards to the rpms. When I had it in high gear, the RPM range reflected it being in Mid gear. When in mid gear, it acted like it was in low gear. This behavior was intermittent.

The manual says to check electrical voltage if the rpm displayed is too low. Checking tonight, it shows fine but I'm also not able to get the lathe to repeat its bad behavior. We've also never had electrical issues in the house.

The lathe is less than 6 months old with very light usage.

Anything else that could cause the wrong rpm range or display?

6 months old? I’d call Jet customer support.

Have you tried tapping on it with a small mallet while it is running, to see if the problem comes back? I've seen many loose wires cause intermittent problems.

How does it know which gear you're in? There is probably a loose sensor or bracket flapping around in there somewhere.

The RPM readout on this lathe comes right off the spindle, the machine isn't aware of what pulley you're using. If you peek inside the headstock you'll see the an electronic sensor mounted right by the pulleys.

I spoke with Jet support this afternoon. They're shipping me out a replacement part or two for the lathe.