Thread: Spalted curly silver maple NE bowl

Spalted curly silver maple NE bowl

One of the things that first attracted me to this forum years ago was all the pictures of folks' work. It seems like that's gone from being the primary type of post to being almost scarce. But, I realize that I'm as guilty as anyone for not posting work.

So, here's a piece. It's actually only a work in progress as it hasn't been finish sanded and is still "naked" (no finish). From a silver maple stump on my sister-in-law's property. I found it because I was walking past their firewood pile and saw all this curly figure on the split faces. Crushes me that they split that tree up not knowing what they had. I saved all the split pieces I could find of any size, and there was one chunk near the butt that they hadn't cut up. It was discolored and punky in places by the time I got to it, but there were some salvageable pieces left.

About 7" long dimension, walls maybe 3/16". This was a pretty big tree so even being NE the rim height is pretty even. The curl is surprisingly prominent given that it is still unfinished. Apologies for the photography. I really appreciate the superb quality that many folks have in photographing their work, but I hope that standard doesn't discourage folks that do photography with their phone and ambient light (like me).

With all the tools we apparently have, there must be some stuff getting made. Show us yours!

Best,

Dave

Capture.JPG

That's really nice, thanks for posting.

Great job turning with very nice figured and spalted wood.
    Thanks for posting the remined about members posting their work. I am as guilty s the next guy, but the posts of others pieces is something I always enjoyed about this forum.

Nice work!!! I too, miss seeing the photos of the fine work that I know people are doing.

Now that is one nice piece of wood and a great job by the artisan who created it!

Thanks for posting. That is a very nice piece. Please show us another picture with finish!

Very nice. My bride has a collection of wooden bowls and that would stand with the best of them.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Figured Maple is my first choice. Very nice wood and work.
    Photos are what drew me to this site. There were many more.
    I am guilty also of not posting photos. Gonna put some on now.
    Nice work!

Quote Originally Posted by kevin nee View Post
    Figured Maple is my first choice. Very nice wood and work.
    Photos are what drew me to this site. There were many more.
    I am guilty also of not posting photos. Gonna put some on now.
    Nice work!

Spalted big leaf maple from the Olympics.....three different bowls.

IMG_6524.jpg
    IMG_6690.jpg
    IMG_6466.jpg
    Where did I put those band aids?

All beautiful, but my favorite is the third. Love the colors and the grain. And always a sucker for ray fleck, even when as subtle as in maple.