Thread: pmags and glock grips ( no real guns)

pmags and glock grips ( no real guns)

Hello everyone.
    I am surprised to see so many people who share their experience and provide so much information and help. Thank you.
    A few months ago I bought a 30w fiber laser with two lenses, 100mm and 130mm and a rotary axis. Yes, it is Chinese! my budget was very limited. For now, the machine is perfect, I can not say the same about who runs it. I'm a mess !! I have no experience in this, I am learning to vectorize, to use the corel, the Adobe, the inskape, Ezcad
    I bought the laser as a complement to the small airsoft shop that I own.
    Until now, little time to turn on the laser. Now, with the store closed due to the coronavirus crisis, I have all the time in the world (waiting for bankruptcy) to investigate, test and burn and damage my mags and sliders. I can't find the correct parameters to engrave the pmags. I have noted in my logbook the different parameters that other members have shared in this forum. I have not been successful. the final conclusion: that I am useless ... and that airsoft pmags are made of a different material than real weapons pmags. (made in China)
    I have the same problem with the grip of glocks. Any suggestion?
    Thanks in advance

I know nothing of airsoft what material are you trying to engrave? Is it metal or some sort of plastic.Fiber lasers from what I read can do some plastic, but I think a co2 would work better on most plastics.
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Going to be trial and error. That's the best advice I can give for right now.
    Even the different firearms and accessory materials are different. Glock v.s. Ruger or Magpul v.s. MFT.
    You can de-focus if you are getting too much burn.
    Share some pics.

Most IMPORTANT, get good fume extraction!
    Last edited by James Minick; 05-05-2020 at 3:42 AM.
    James Minick

"Measure with a micrometer, mark with chalk, and cut with an axe"

100w CO2 Ruida
    50w Fiber BJJCZ
    34in Vinyl Cutter
    5 TIG/MIG/Stick/Gas Outfits
    50 Ton Press
    Robotic/IT Museum

Blog Entries
    I assume you found the settings I posted for P80s a while back. BTW, only works on the Cobalt, the Black doesn't color well at all.
    I've been engraving batches of import Glock mags for a customer. We got PERFECT white engraving on one batch. I kept one for setup.
    Three more shipments from same source ended up engraving tan. Yes, I took the setup mag and engraved a spot on it each time to make sure I didn't screw up settings.
    Each time setup was again perfect white. I did have several that did work that was mixed into one lot. But material variances makes HUGE differences in results.
    I spent an hour trying to get white but failed on those mags.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Similar thing happened to me with Magpul iPhone cases. I did several thousand of them and you could tell how well they mixed whatever was in the material as some would mark a beautiful tan color and some would have swirls of various shades of tan. On some designs it was a cool effect, others not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by John Lifer View Post
    I assume you found the settings I posted for P80s a while back. BTW, only works on the Cobalt, the Black doesn't color well at all.
    I've been engraving batches of import Glock mags for a customer. We got PERFECT white engraving on one batch. I kept one for setup.
    Three more shipments from same source ended up engraving tan. Yes, I took the setup mag and engraved a spot on it each time to make sure I didn't screw up settings.
    Each time setup was again perfect white. I did have several that did work that was mixed into one lot. But material variances makes HUGE differences in results.
    I spent an hour trying to get white but failed on those mags.

Thank you all for your quick responses.
    Materials with which I have difficulties to engrave are polymer magazines IMG_20200505_180033.jpgand the Glock frame IMG_20200505_180157.jpg. In polymer magazines, the best result obtained is a sand color IMG_20200505_181547.jpg . Metal receivers are not a problem, nor are metal magazines.
    I did get white engrave on some suppressors IMG_20200505_175618.jpg, holographics and in my CZ Sp01 magazines IMG_20200505_175531.jpg, with very low power, I didn't want to mark the metal deeply. I will have to do a lots of trials and errors to get acceptable results.

I hadn't thought about applying something unfocused. I will try tomorrow in the pmags.

Blog Entries
    oh, and yes, AR mags vary a bunch. Pmag I can only get about what you have shown. other brands can be better or worse.... white is hard to get.
    Woodworking, Old Tools and Shooting
    Ray Fine RF-1390 Laser Ray Fine 20watt Fiber Laser
    SFX 50 Watt Fiber Laser
    PM2000, Delta BS, Delta sander, Powermatic 50 jointer,
    Powermatic 100-12 planer, Rockwell 15-126 radial drill press
    Rockwell 46-450 lathe, and 2 Walker Turner RA1100 radial saws
    Jet JWS18, bandsaw Carbide Create CNC, RIA 22TCM 1911s and others

Those pmags are about as good as you'll get, a nice tan/sand color is the goal and it looks like you got it!

For metals, especially dark metal, you'll probably find that higher frequency and higher speed will give you pretty nice results, about like the suppressor you showed.

So far so good!

Quote Originally Posted by Francisco Diaz Castro View Post
    Thank you all for your quick responses.
    Materials with which I have difficulties to engrave are polymer magazines IMG_20200505_180033.jpgand the Glock frame IMG_20200505_180157.jpg. In polymer magazines, the best result obtained is a sand color IMG_20200505_181547.jpg . Metal receivers are not a problem, nor are metal magazines.
    I did get white engrave on some suppressors IMG_20200505_175618.jpg, holographics and in my CZ Sp01 magazines IMG_20200505_175531.jpg, with very low power, I didn't want to mark the metal deeply. I will have to do a lots of trials and errors to get acceptable results.

I hadn't thought about applying something unfocused. I will try tomorrow in the pmags.

What settings did you use on the PMAG?