Thread: How to mount tile in picture frame

How to mount tile in picture frame

I made a craftsman picture frame from 3/4" stock that is 13" X 21" to mount two 5" X 5" X 5/8" decorator tiles, separated by a rail, for the Warden. The stock is 3/4" QSWO. I cut the inset only about 1/2", leaving about 1/8" of each tile hanging out the rear of the frame. The tiles have some heft to them, probably weighing about 14 ounces each.

How can I secure the tiles to the inset? I don't want to permanently secure them with epoxy, I want some type of mechanical fastener. Since I am social distancing myself from my family, the frame will be mailed to her.

Perhaps "offset clips" - metal clips commonly used to hold canvas stretchers and other objects in picture frames - available in offsets from zero to an inch or 2.

I've done a few of those. If the tiles mount from the back I've used little clips to clamp them in. Lately I've been mounting from the front and using either double backed tape or a couple dabs of silicone. I can take photos of the backs later and post if you'd like.

Front Loaded

36478348022_9b05b9a887_k.jpg

Front Loaded

6659683817_ced88a3fdd_k.jpg

Back Loaded

4964851812_077e1645b5_k.jpg

Back Loaded

4964852124_858dba72e5_k.jpg
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

I agree that silicone adhesive presents a good solution to fasten the tiles to a substrate while allowing their removal in the future.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

The offset clips are simple to install and easy to remove. I've used them on artwork attached from the back of a frame.

Jim

I just used some of these to secure a large mirror in a frame. Works well. they make different sizes for different offsets. Use them in picture frames all the time.
    https://www.michaels.com/metal-offse...7_color=Silver
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

I live in RURAL northern Wisconsin. I went to the local Ace and found screen door clips that just worked the treat! Thank you to all who posted. I used your clip idea, but the "rural" version.