Thread: Is it possible to use Pro-Lase on one of these cheap chinese fiber lasers?

Is it possible to use Pro-Lase on one of these cheap chinese fiber lasers?

I've been seriously considering pulling the trigger on a fiber laser. Jimani's blog page has been a tremendous resource. And I MAY wind up just buying a laser through him anyways depending on what kind of price quote I can get.

Failing that... is it possible to buy one of these $5,000 chinese fiber lasers and just control it with a PC with pro-lase? From what I'm reading, all of these cheap chinese lasers seem to ship with EZcad and it might not be the greatest software going.

My intended use would mostly be marking and depth engraving aluminum, small steel parts, that sort of thing. Marking plastics would be nice but not my primary goal.

I've had an old epilog co2 laser for years now. It's still going strong. But I've had to turn alot of people away for lack of depth engraving on metals.

What's ya'lls thoughts on this? Do those of you with Chinese fiber lasers regret the purchase? Is EZcad really that lousy? Have you tried to use Pro-lase? If so, was it difficult to switch?

Any particular brand/make I need to steer clear of?

Control a cheap Chinese fiber with Pro-laze? Not unless you're willing to buy a controller card compatible with Pro-laze. (And I'm only guessing)

You CAN mark some plastics, but it's a crapshoot. This is black plex-
    bplxfib.jpg

Regret the purchase? Nope, I have 3 of the things now, all cheap Chinese, all with EzCad.

Is EzCad lousy? I've never used anything else, so--? I will say my newer 2.14.10(?) versions are far and away superior to my older 2.5.3 version. Thing is, if you use EzCad only to run the laser, and use Corel (or whatever you're used to) to do all the design work prior to lasering, EzCad is great. It has it's issues, but what computer program doesn't? I've been running engraving machines with computer programs since 1981, and the common denominator with all program software and machines, is all of 'em can have you pulling your hair out at any moment...

Fiber lasers never cease to amaze me.
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Control a cheap Chinese fiber with Pro-laze? Not unless you're willing to buy a controller card compatible with Pro-laze. (And I'm only guessing)

You CAN mark some plastics, but it's a crapshoot. This is black plex-
    bplxfib.jpg

Regret the purchase? Nope, I have 3 of the things now, all cheap Chinese, all with EzCad.

Is EzCad lousy? I've never used anything else, so--? I will say my newer 2.14.10(?) versions are far and away superior to my older 2.5.3 version. Thing is, if you use EzCad only to run the laser, and use Corel (or whatever you're used to) to do all the design work prior to lasering, EzCad is great. It has it's issues, but what computer program doesn't? I've been running engraving machines with computer programs since 1981, and the common denominator with all program software and machines, is all of 'em can have you pulling your hair out at any moment...

Fiber lasers never cease to amaze me.

Thanks for the response, Kev!

Which power/laser source do your fiber lasers use? (Raycus, JPT, IPG etc) From my reading, it seems like there's been alot of progress the past few years.

I have a Triumph 30w I got in June 2016, and 2 cheap Ebay machines (branded "Vivor") I bought within a month of each other, Dec '18/Jan '19, all three have Max sources and BJJCZ controllers, all EzCad-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle