Maybe a year ago, a neighbor of mine (a few houses away) told me he had a scroll saw that he didn't use and he'd give it to me. I didn't push him because I have a scroll saw and don't use it a lot - but I told him I'd take it, expecting it to be some cheap (maybe Chinese) scroll saw. My neighbor is not a woodworker - I think he inherited the saw from a family member and just wanted to get it out of his garage.

A week ago, he pulled into my driveway and unloaded the scroll saw - a Hegner Multimax-18 with a manufacturing date of 1990. It was dirty, missing parts, and obviously had not been used in a loooong time. I put it in my shop, cleaned it up and ordered the needed parts. For example, when I went to clean the bellows they just fell apart from dry rot, and there were no blade clamps. It was over $100 for the parts.

After I received the parts I installed them and tried out the saw - works great.

Now I have to decide what to do with the saw. What I'm thinking of doing is putting a large scroll saw blade in the saw, maybe a #12, and using it for cutting complex parts. If that works, I could put a wide (1") blade in my 20" bandsaw and wouldn't have to keep changing blades on the bandsaw.

Otherwise, I could sell it but I would feel bad selling something that was a gift to me.

Any ideas on the best use for a scroll saw like this?

Mike

Hegner-Multimax-18-001.jpgHegner-Multimax-18-002.jpg