Thread: Cheap workbench lamp

Exclamation Cheap workbench lamp

I used a cheap lamp to bring more light for some specific jobs at the workbench. I bought around eight years ago in a B&M shop near our work offices a lamp to use in a small desk in our bedroom. The lamp was reasonably constructed but the base was a crap piece of molded plastic that wear with the time until it broke some days ago.

Well, I thought, why not to create a base to use it at workbench? As its is supported by an embedded metal round tenon of 12 mm (1/2 inch) I had the idea to construct some kind of wood sleeve to use with 18 mm (slightly less than 3/4 inch) holes in my workbench but for my surprise it wasn´t needed as the lamp can be very stable even when its 12 mm tenon is using a 18 mm hole for its geometry. I found close similar lamp at amazon in the US at this link - the same stuff except for the base. Even new it is only 18 USD there (of course I paid considerably more eight years ago in my our country in a B&M shop but after all that time used in our bedroom it is completely "amortized").

20200503_160356.jpg20200503_160317.jpg20200503_160423.jpg
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Osvaldo,

That looks like it is doing a good job as a light for your workbench. It looks like it can be set so it is not in your way when working.

I tend to love finding things that will work well, whether designed for the exact purpose I use them for or not. Good job.

When you looked on Amazon, what words did you use for the search? I am interested in looking into one of those.

Thanks and regards,

Stew

Quote Originally Posted by Stew Denton View Post
    Osvaldo,

That looks like it is doing a good job as a light for your workbench. It looks like it can be set so it is not in your way when working.

I tend to love finding things that will work well, whether designed for the exact purpose I use them for or not. Good job.

When you looked on Amazon, what words did you use for the search? I am interested in looking into one of those.

Thanks and regards,

Stew
    I used "articulated desk lamp" in the search in amazon. It is supposed the link I provided conducts to the result.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

IMG_4898.jpg

Someone else came up with this idea a few weeks back. Using scrap PB I made the cradle too short and not deep enough to ride on the floor of the tool tray so it wobbles a bit. Eventually it will fall over one too many times while sawing and I'll make a better cradle. It puts light just where needed and now has a dairy queen energy saving bulb. LED's are HOT!

I have a similar light attached above my bench. The issue I have is that it does not extend far enough over the bench to shine at the work piece from a long level. It also cannot create raking light.

My solution is to have another on a movable base, which allows the light to be directed where it is wanted. You can see it here - at the side of the bench, unused at that time .... it is never the focus of my photos ...

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    A few of my lamps are the same as yours. My solution was to make a bench dog with the top as a lamp holder:

Lamp Dog.jpg

A couple of other places have either a block with a 1/2" hole in them or some of my bench tops have a hole in them for holding a lamp.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

There is a bench for the mitersaw, behind my main bench ( only?)
    Shop Light, Base.JPG
    Drilled a hole in it's back corner...not only for lighting the main bench..
    Shop Light, shined on the bench.JPG
    But can be swung around to light up the mitersaw..
    Shop Light, shine on the Mitersaw.JPG
    And move around to provide a back light to the bandsaw blade.
    Shop Light, back lit bandsaw.JPG
    Which helps out the bandsaw's own work light...

Added an even cheaper, clip on a joist spot for over the sanding center..
    Shop light, new one.JPG
    Seems to do the job fairly well..
    Shop light, bright.JPG
    Because when I open the Tool Cabinet door....it blocks the overhead T8 shoplight from lighting up this spot.

Don't need much in my small shop, just a few spots is all.

This little guy can go anywhere. Runs on three AA batteries of which I keep a little plastic drink cup full of rechargeables always ready for various electronics. Has a hi/low setting and the beam can be focused or broad. Probably not as much light as a wired articulating lamp, but it’s easier to move around and no wire to tangle myself up in (I use both sides of my bench).

light1.jpglight2.jpglight3.jpglight4.jpglight5.jpg

This one wasn’t cheap, but I’m really happy with it. I got it from Lee Valley, along with a metal bushing for a dog hole. So I just drilled a new dog hole along the back of my bench for it and I can move it around if I really need to. It has enough reach that I don’t really need to move it around except in unusual situations.

355C6A19-18EA-4F0C-9480-95CD4137340A.jpeg

I have been looking at your light the past week Osvaldo.

I have one like it but red in color that belonged to my wife. I have built another bench and will order this light today.

Thanks for the reminder.

I use both types of lights. The articulating arm light I found to be too low so made a post it fits on and the post can be put in any of the dog holes.

20190515_181746.jpg

And the magnetic lights are placed on recessed fender washers or on an old cast iron iron that I made a walnut base for so it can go anywhere.

20191208_114907.jpg 20200301_121342.jpg 20200301_114249.jpg

I figure I'm a couple of years away from the light with the magnifier. Just a matter of time.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I have something similar; I purchased two of them in 2013. The light is pretty narrow, but I mostly use it for cutting dovetails.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0055IVM1I

They are now between $27 and $30 depending on the color, but it was cheaper 7 years ago and there were fewer options available.

Quote Originally Posted by chris carter View Post
    This little guy can go anywhere. Runs on three AA batteries of which I keep a little plastic drink cup full of rechargeables always ready for various electronics. Has a hi/low setting and the beam can be focused or broad. Probably not as much light as a wired articulating lamp, but it’s easier to move around and no wire to tangle myself up in (I use both sides of my bench).

light1.jpglight2.jpglight3.jpglight4.jpglight5.jpg
    Chris,

Yep, that's my light, too. Twenty bucks on Amazon; Lee Valley sells a nice metal plate for $5. I have one light and (so far) two base disks. I don't need any other task light! But I might buy another one for two-way light on work requiring close scrutiny.