Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Jigs, general knowledge

How's that saying go? "England and USA: two countries separated by a common language."
    -- Andy - Arlington TX

Quote Originally Posted by Andy D Jones View Post
    How's that saying go? "England and USA: two countries separated by a common language."
    -- Andy - Arlington TX
    George Patton, Circa 1946

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Patton died in 1945. That quote however is often attributed to George Bernard Shaw, but it's never found in any of his works.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Wurster View Post
    Patton died in 1945. That quote however is often attributed to George Bernard Shaw, but it's never found in any of his works.
    I've also heard it (or a variation of it) attributed to Oscar Wilde

It's ironic that I'm reading this on a telephone connected to the web.

Blog Entries
    Amusingly only groups I've heard the instance on correct usage from has been machinists and fabricators.

7. When a usage becomes common enough among competent practitioners it can become the accepted usage or at least an accepted usage. The question is when that is or isn't the case. There can also be a regional factor.

Can't resist noting a great Oxford moment. Years ago I was reading the journal of the French Jesuit ,Charlevoix who was
    exploring North America. He
    mentioned some kind of animal I had never heard of, or didn't think would be where he was. Can't remember what it was.
    But part of the Oxford definition said the name was used incorectly by Charlevoix, and then said what the guy was
    really describing ! It's a marvelous work.

When I was in graduate school, one of the staff and I replumbed a big water treatment system for the aquatic lab. As we worked, we developed an alternate name for every tool we used (different sizes of pipe wrenches, pipe cutter, pipe threader, etc.). It started with "Hand me that whatsit", and grew until every tool had an off-label name, but they were unique to each tool. "Hand me the whatsit -- no, not the thingamabob, the whatsit." I'm editing to clean it up a little, several of the names were R rated. We laughed and laughed about our growing terminology. Shared misery I guess. . .

"Shared misery ,I guess. " Makes me think of "perhaps someday these things will be a pleasure to recall " Glad you
    made it !