Thread: A visual guide to my first year of woodworking, very picture heavy

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

A visual guide to my first year of woodworking, very picture heavy

Hello all,

Lets start with a little about myself. My name is Justin Byers, I'm a cardiac and transplant anesthetist friom Edmonton Alberta. I finished my exceptionally long academic career at the ripe ol age of 34. I've always loved the idea of woodworking, and being fairly good with my hands I decided that I would take the plunge and give it a go last May. I figured my 2 car garage would make an adequate first shop, so I spent the first couple months setting it up de novo. That was a humbling lesson on the importance of accuracy, as I was a framer before medicine you can probably imagine that I perhaps wasn't the best with being perfect, but we got er done.

First projects- Got my feet wet with some side grain cutting boards (I cry to think i used my first quilted maple for this, but oh well). Also made some side tables and a matching tray out of some beautifully figured walnut with wenge accents.
    58109471259__98D74869-FAC4-4421-BF40-5FC62A7B73EF.jpgIMG_4476.jpgIMG_2898.jpgIMG_8640.jpg

First box (July 2019)- Learned the importance of accuracy with miters, moved past finishing only with oil wax combos. This box is tiger maple and walnut, finished in danish oil.
    IMG_9854.jpgIMG_9855.jpg
    August 2019- My friend asked me to make his parents a bench. I used this opportunity to learn some new joints, specifically a tusked mortise and tenon. For that I figured I needed a mallet too, so I made one of them as well. continued...
    IMG_3221.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images