Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using The Veritas Shooting Plane

1. I upgraded from a homemade shooting board and Veritas low angle Jack to the shooting plane and board in February. I knew I wanted one, but after trying it out at the Woodworking Shows, I was in love. The low angle Jack always hurt my hand, probably because I never used a hotdog.

I actually spent a lot of time this weekend with it. I added a type of donkey's ear miter jig for some future box projects, and started working on an oak frame for a different project. I get happy every time I use it. Congrats, Jim, on the acquisition.
    IMG_5145.2.jpgIMG_5146.jpgIMG_5154.jpgIMG_20200503_181620.jpg

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, add a side fence and save your fingers
    Yes, this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    What did you use for glue on the Corian?

I have a few pieces I've been tripping over for more than a decade and the other day, I moved them to the trash heap, but now it appears I have a use for them!
    I think I just used Super Glue. All my solid surface glue has long since hardened in the tubes, and been tossed. I don't think I've fabricated anything with it since the '80's, but still have some pieces that were "too good to throw away" from the kitchen work back then.

I do have a number of specialty router bases that I've made out of it over those years. I also use it for shower shelves. Don't throw it away.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I think I just used Super Glue. All my solid surface glue has long since hardened in the tubes, and been tossed. I don't think I've fabricated anything with it since the '80's, but still have some pieces that were "too good to throw away" from the kitchen work back then.

I do have a number of specialty router bases that I've made out of it over those years. I also use it for shower shelves. Don't throw it away.
    Thanks Tom-already moved back to the "project pile". Never occurred to me to use for a shooting board, and it will look deluxe, as this Corian looks like granite!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Jim, add a side fence and save your fingers

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Yes, this.
    Thanks, it has been done and does work great.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Thanks Tom-already moved back to the "project pile". Never occurred to me to use for a shooting board, and it will look deluxe, as this Corian looks like granite!
    Heck, tossing a 1/4"X1/2"X2" piece makes me feel guilty. It is easier in the dead of winter when it seems like a good source of heat for in the house.

One of my daughters teaches pre-schoolers. She used to take all my shavings for her kids to use as hare when making paper bag puppets. It got me to be more careful with through holes bored with forstner bits. They last piece could saved for making eyes.

My father must have given me some of his pack rat genes.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Heck, tossing a 1/4"X1/2"X2" piece makes me feel guilty. It is easier in the dead of winter when it seems like a good source of heat for in the house.

One of my daughters teaches pre-schoolers. She used to take all my shavings for her kids to use as hare when making paper bag puppets. It got me to be more careful with through holes bored with forstner bits. They last piece could saved for making eyes.

My father must have given me some of his pack rat genes.

jtk
    My issue is, I have saved so many things for "just in case", that when I need them, I cannot find them!
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Yeah, I can't say how many hundreds of pounds of fasteners I have, but the easiest place for me to find what I need is in Ace Hardware.

Blog Entries
    My issue is, I have saved so many things for "just in case", that when I need them, I cannot find them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Yeah, I can't say how many hundreds of pounds of fasteners I have, but the easiest place for me to find what I need is in Ace Hardware.
    That can be a problem without some kind of filing method.

There are only a couple of places where hinges reside in my shop.

Screws, bolts, washers and nuts are kept in a few different places based on; SAE or Metric, material, type, sizes and their original purpose.

Tools and some other items also have a system. With some screwdrivers, tap & die sets, combination wrenches, etc. kept in a Craftsman rolling tool chest. Another Husky rolling tool chest holds socket wrenches, some electrical tools and plumbing tools, miscellaneous drill bits, punches and allen wrenches.

Oh, the woodworking tools are another mess and all over the place. Then there are a few yard tools and tree cutting tools.

It may not make sense to anyone and is as cluttered as my mind, but it works for me.

A few set screws were needed a couple days ago. They were in the first of my reused Altoid containers taken out of a drawer:

Hardware Hunting Box.jpg

There were about 7 set screws at the bottom of that mess. Only two of them were the size wanted.

Another one of my 'round tuit' projects is to make a hardware stand with drawers to keep more screw and nuts separated by their thread designations.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-04-2020 at 6:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven Harrison View Post
    I added a type of donkey's ear miter jig for some future box projects, and started working on an oak frame for a different project. I get happy every time I use it.
    Many thanks, Steven, for the pics of your donkey’s ear. I also have the Veritas shooting board (yes, the L & R pair, Rob) and during my recent trim project there was one piece of moulding I needed to bevel instead of miter—that’s when I began to think about how to add a donkey’s ear to the shooting board. Your pictures have inspired me and smoothed the path.

I also want to praise the Veritas shooting board for making it EASY to trim ends at angles a little more or less than 90 or 45 degrees. I used a ruler or shims to measure the deviation on the walls and then just transferred the measurement to the shooting board. The ease with which the fence can be moved and locked made the transfer effortless. The vernier scale was good for fine-tuning. For me, the cost was a good value—definitely no lingering guilt over that, either.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart

Blog Entries
    Many thanks, Steven, for the pics of your donkey’s ear. I also have the Veritas shooting board (yes, the L & R pair, Rob) and during my recent trim project there was one piece of moulding I needed to bevel instead of miter—that’s when I began to think about how to add a donkey’s ear to the shooting board. Your pictures have inspired me and smoothed the path.
    John, there are a few posts on shooting different angles with donkey ears and other attachments > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?157217 < is an old post of mine on making a 22-1/2º donkey ear for an octagon bird house.

This one > https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?244777 Is about making my current shooting board from an old one. It has a couple attachments for shooting angles and also has a post of someone else's shooting board with a donkey ear and a block for shooting 45º ends on their ambidextrous shooting board.

> https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?242236 < is a donkey ear experiment.

A lot of things can be accomplished with a simple shooting board.

jtk

jtk

12. Quote Originally Posted by John Stevens View Post

I also want to praise the Veritas shooting board for making it EASY to trim ends at angles a little more or less than 90 or 45 degrees. I used a ruler or shims to measure the deviation on the walls and then just transferred the measurement to the shooting board. The ease with which the fence can be moved and locked made the transfer effortless. The vernier scale was good for fine-tuning. For me, the cost was a good value—definitely no lingering guilt over that, either.

No problem, John. Glad you found them useful! The only thing better than one pair of the board and plane... is a second set.

Blog Entries
    I did not know and I have been shooting with my #5 Stanley, oh well.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I did not know and I have been shooting with my #5 Stanley, oh well.
    Before purchasing a Low Angle Jack Plane my shooting was done with everything from a block plane to a #7. They can all do the job. The lower the angle, the more like a slicing cut. The low angle planes leave a nicer finish on end grain. Some folks don't care about such things.

Here is the board with the added guide rail:

Shooting Board Guide Rail.jpg

A piece of scrap ash was cut, planed and drilled for the screw shank size. Then a 1/4" bit was used for the countersinking. The piece was then set in position to mark hole positions on the board and attached with #6 wood screws.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 05-05-2020 at 5:58 PM. Reason: added photo & comments on guide rail

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    John, there are a few posts on shooting different angles with donkey ears and other attachments
    Thanks so much for those links, Jim. Lots of great ideas and pictures.
    What this world needs is a good retreat.
    --Captain Beefheart