Thread: How do I repair these old bent bamboo/wicker chairs?

How do I repair these old bent bamboo/wicker chairs?

The wifey has two very old bamboo (I think) patio chairs that have been wrapped with a reed or bamboo strips or ? They have been in her family at least 100 years that we are aware of. She wants me to rewrap all the currently wrapped areas and then re spray paint them white again (basically rebuild them). It doesn't look particularly hard to do, I just have no idea what to use as a wrap. Nor how to get them tight. Anybody have any idea what I would use? Also, there is probably a particular way to start and end the wrap. Don't even know what its called. Any utubes anybody knows of that might cover this? Randy (Sorry these pics are showing up sideways.)

IMG_5104.jpg
    IMG_5105.jpg
    IMG_5106.jpg

My parents have similar chairs. In India we call them "bent ki kursi". You can use this in Google search. May you help you with finding type of wood and other details.

Sorry, that's all I know about these.

Did a little Google search. I remember chair at home were not Bamboo. They are made from "Cane". Hindi "Bent" is nothing but "Cane".

Searching using "Cane Chairs" yield better Google results. Quick search says, Cane is outer layer of Rattan Tree.

I hope this helps.

I was going to mention that you need rattan strips. I am not sure, but I think they might be soaked in water to make them pliable for wrapping but don't quote me. Just might be a help in doing your searches.

OK, thanks. This at least points me in a direction. Randy

I would use strips of cloth dipped in Tite Bond 2. Some places will be wrapped others will be small pieces overlapped it
    will look a little different but be quite strong.