Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Belt dressing

best cure for noise in belts is apply canning wax while it is running, we have used this to help diagnose belt\pulley noise for years. The best "fix" is to replace the belt, dressings and other remedies are short lived at best.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Monson View Post
    best cure for noise in belts is apply canning wax while it is running, we have used this to help diagnose belt\pulley noise for years. The best "fix" is to replace the belt, dressings and other remedies are short lived at best.
    I used the machines for years .They did not sit unused for long. "Stickers",single end tenon machines, shutter machines. The belts lasted for years. Pine pitch is what was used. Since chickens eat grit maybe their product would
    work. I will not speculate further on what might work. Pine pitch is what was used. I suggest a call to the Smithsonian,
    they have a bunch of that stuff. The Old Iron bunch would also be able to help.
    This "creative history" has some wondering if boiled okra could be used for motor oil !
    Last edited by Mel Fulks; 05-04-2020 at 6:50 PM.

Just found a forum called hobby machines, or something close. Two guys saying they are using ground up violin rosin.
    Pine pitch. I bet that's pricey! And it makes me think they have checked with companies that make belts.