Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Festool CT26 or CT36?

Festool CT26 or CT36?

I decided to get it over with, and just buy one of these dust extractors to go along with the other green tools I thought I'd never buy.....

I have seen reference to the CT26 many times, so I figured I'd just get one of them, but my local dealer is out of the 26's. They have a CT36 is stock, as well as a Midi. I did a quick scan of the 26 and 36 on the Festool Web site and they appear to be the same machine, but the 36 has some kind of automatic bag cleaning. What's that all about? And considering the small price difference (percentage, not dollars), is there something about the CT26 that makes it a better machine for some folks?

Festool makes one version of each that has the automatic filter cleaning for drywall sanding. Other than that, the only differences between the two that I know of are the physical size and the capacity (26 liters versus 36 liters). I think the motors are the same.

I have the CTM36E, but wish I had bought the CT26. I now use the Oneida Dust Deputy Cyclone Kit with my CT36, so capacity is no longer an issue.

The CT26 HEPA and CT36 HEPA are the same machine other than dust bin size. The CT36AC with automatic bag cleaning is a specialized unit for drywall sanding and is different than the others. I have a CT36 HEPA and while I like it, I wish I had the slightly smaller CT26 unit. The CT36 can get quite heavy when the bag fills, especially if there is any appreciable MDF dust in it. The CT26 is more portable and smaller, although they both have the same footprint.
    Dick Mahany.

I originally bought a Midi for the shop, and then they were all recalled in Canada and Festool gave everyone a CT26 in exchange.

After struggling with the CT26 for years I bought a Midi last year.

I’m back to being happy with my vacuum again.

Don’t buy a bigger one than you want.....Regards, Rod

I read the description too quick. I mistook the "self cleaning bag" for a machine feature.

Does the Midi have the tool outlet for auto start? That is a feature I really want. That, and hose storage.

The Midi has both the auto start outlet and on-board hose storage.

The new bluetooth feature is very handy and I upgraded my CT36 to incorporate it and use it very frequently.
    Dick Mahany.

I picked up a MIDI last year from the Festool Reconditioned site and it’s perfect. Compact and plenty powerful for the wide range of work that I do. I think I paid right around $400 (or maybe a little less) for the reconditioned MIDI.

I don’t really see the point of the 36 or 46 unless you’re doing something that runs the vac all day everyday and you couldn’t afford the downtime to empty the bag a little more often??

Save yourself some coin and go for one of the smaller units. Easier to move around if you ever do any site work or take it of the shop.
    Still waters run deep.

I think the choice depends on what tools you're using the dust extractor with. If removing sanding dust is the primary use, then the ct 26 may be the right choice. If you're cutting a lot of domino mortises and using a Kapex, or things that generate larger volumes of chips or dust, then bigger may be better. I like my CT36 and have never found the size or weight an issue. However, I don't have the expensive long life bag so the 5 pack of disposable bags are about 10% more expensive on the CT36 over the CT26. There is an off brand on Amazon which works fine with mine for a lot less $$.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Mahany View Post
    The Midi has both the auto start outlet and on-board hose storage.

The new bluetooth feature is very handy and I upgraded my CT36 to incorporate it and use it very frequently.
    Interesting, what do you use the Bluetooth for Dick?

Regards, Rod

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod
    Cordless tools like sanders can't trigger the vac on from a non-existent power cable. So the Bluetooth feature provides a button to do that at the tool end of the hose.

OP, unless you plan on using the Festool extractor for "shop cleanup" or other heavy pickup jobs, the smaller versions are MORE than adequate for extraction purposes from small tools. I keep a "traditional" shop vac for cleanup type things and never use my Festool extractor other than with my sanders, routers, Domino and track saw. The bag lasts a LONG time, although heavy Domino use does create a lot of "stuff".
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 05-02-2020 at 4:41 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

When I purchased the CT26e several years ago, the only difference was that the CT36e had a larger capacity dust bag. The Festool was replacing a Fein, which was only used around the workshop and with a small cyclone (Dust Deputy). The larger - and more expensive - CT36e made little sense in this context. Same motor, same features, and neither principally collecting dust within the machine.

Incidentally, I did purchase a long-life dust bag, which over the years has needed to be emptied just once. I have a memory that these are only available for the CT26 and not the CT36. If so, it would defeat the reason to get the larger machine.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Last edited by Derek Cohen; 05-02-2020 at 8:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Cordless tools like sanders can't trigger the vac on from a non-existent power cable. So the Bluetooth feature provides a button to do that at the tool end of the hose.

OP, unless you plan on using the Festool extractor for "shop cleanup" or other heavy pickup jobs, the smaller versions are MORE than adequate for extraction purposes from small tools. I keep a "traditional" shop vac for cleanup type things and never use my Festool extractor other than with my sanders, routers, Domino and track saw. The bag lasts a LONG time, although heavy Domino use does create a lot of "stuff".
    I do have a couple big-ol orange vacs. One small one too. Sounds like the MIDI is the one I need to get. I really don't plan to use it for anything but the green machines. I've tried using my small Rigid, even bought a smart outlet to turn it on with the tool. Been wrapping the extension cord around the hose to keep from getting shocked....... All that mess is so inconvenient it takes the fun out of using these machines.

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post

Regards, Rod
    Rod, I've used the Bluetooth function when drilling MFT tops, and also for dust extraction when drilling holes into sheetrock. I also do a lot of turning and it is a nice feature when using hand tools on the hose end for tool cleanup.

I have to admit that it didn't seem like it would get used that much and I held off from buying the upgrade module since I don't use many cordless tools. To my surprise, it gets used often.

IMG_3804e.jpg
    Dick Mahany.

Thanks Dick and Jim for the response, very interesting.... Regards, Rod

I made the mistake of purchasing the CT 48, way too large to be portable. I thought that bigger capacity was most important and I will keep it in the shop anyway. However, I found that I occasionally need to take it out of my shop and it's way too large and bulky. I rarely fill up the bag as I have a proper dust collector for my large machines and cleanup. If I would do it over, I would go for the CT26, much more versatile size.