Thread: Dewalt Cordless Router

Dewalt Cordless Router

After reading posts by a number of forum members, I bought a DeWalt Cordless Router(DCW600B). It works well but I found that if I used a 5Ahr battery it was too top heavy so I wound up using a smaller battery. I've only used it for doing round overs so the smaller battery has been fine.

The one thing that surprised me is that it has a "quick stop" feature - when you turn the router off, the bit stops immediately. That's a nice feature.

I'm not going to sell all my corded trim routers but this one is very nice. Thanks to everyone who recommended it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

What size battery did you end up using? I have been eyeing this one since I bought into Dewalt 20V. I have a lot of the tools, mostly bought bare and batteries off eBay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Aldrich View Post
    What size battery did you end up using? I have been eyeing this one since I bought into Dewalt 20V. I have a lot of the tools, mostly bought bare and batteries off eBay.
    I used a 2Ahr battery. It was lighter than the 5Ahr batteries I also had.

I have a bunch of DeWalt cordless tools so I had a selection of batteries. The 1.3Ahr battery is about the same physical size and weight as the 2Ahr.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I'm also heavily invested in the DW 20V line. I just picked up the RO sander. No, it's not as powerful as a corded one, but not dealing with a cord and having a cord drag over your freshly sanded panel is nice. It also has that quick stop feature which is a surprise. The same problem with the 5a battery would apply. It gets a bit top heavy. But the extra weight may cause to cut a bit better.
    One 20V tool that really impressed me is the small chainsaw. Yes, the small chainsaw. IF and only if you have a big gas saw, this is a great little tool to trim blanks. It can cut full bar in hardwood. It does not like it but it can. If you treat it well, and not heavily load it like a gas saw it's good. It's real nice that you can just pop in the battery and trim the corners off your blank. I have processed several 10" logs with 1 5a battery. By process I mean split in half and trim off the corners. You won't be happy trying to cut a big tree down with it. Get the 60v saw for that. I'd say that one rivals the lower end gas saws.

After using the DeWalt Cordless router for a while, I now use the 5Ah battery without problems. I guess I just needed to get accustomed to the different balance. Ii really like the cordless version - I just bought another one and my corded DeWalt trim routers don't get much use now. I'll probably switch over to cordless slowly and sell off most of my corded trim routers (if I recall correctly, I have four corded DeWalt routers).

Mike

[And just another comment - I recently purchased the DeWalt 60V leaf blower. Performs great, better and stronger than my 20V leaf blower. I'm wedded to the DeWalt system because of all the batteries I have. One thing about the 60V system is that you can use those 60V batteries in your 20V tools. They're really just three 20V batteries in series. When you put them in a 20V tool, the three batteries are in parallel so they last a long time. But they're HEAVY.]

The DCB230 battery is the one to get for tools like that. 21700 cells and very small and lightweight for a 3.0ah