Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Both Menards and Costco requiring face coverings to shop

Quote Originally Posted by Nathan Johnson View Post
    America: Land of the selfish and shortsighted.
    It's like I saw on the news last week. I think it was around Washington DC .... hundreds or thousands of people gathered to protest the stay at home orders. It's like they are saying "We are Americans, you can't tell us we can't go out and get sick!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Barry McFadden View Post
    It's like I saw on the news last week. I think it was around Washington DC .... hundreds or thousands of people gathered to protest the stay at home orders. It's like they are saying "We are Americans, you can't tell us we can't go out and get sick!!"
    I understand there is some concern for rights being taken away and how hard it is to get them back.
    But sorry, asking people to wear a mask to protect others is the absolute minimum of human decency right now.
    You have no idea if you're an asymptomatic carrier and no idea who you may be infecting.

Frankly, my position right now until we know way more is, if you're entering a store without a mask on, you're an a$$hole.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    In most situations where masks were prohibited, there's been some leeway...banks come to mind. A lot of bank robbers don't bother to wear them anyway...LOL
    In our town we had a guy who robbed a bank WITHOUT a mask recently! He will be charged with robbery and failure to wear a mask within 6' of a person.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Joiner View Post
    In our town we had a guy who robbed a bank WITHOUT a mask recently! He will be charged with robbery and failure to wear a mask within 6' of a person.
    Ironic, eh?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Ironic, eh?
    Absolutely! When his face was broadcast on the video several people I know called in to identify him. We all joked about his IQ and slapping a mask violation on him.
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

Banks here aren't open to the public. Drive thru services only. Passing the note along that it's a stick up will be challenging to say the least. Masks are required in any location where the 6' separation isn't possible.I just automatically put it on when going into any business. I have a hard time believing anyone is going to be ticketed or arrested for wearing a protective mask even if there happens to be a law on the books saying it's not allowed. Some places have suspended those laws and even if they haven't intent has to be proven.

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Lowes is encouraging them too. I was there this weekend and waited in line 15 minutes to get in. They limited the store to 150 shoppers at one time. Yet none of the cashiers were wearing masks.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

The folks working in those stores are risking their lives to keep us in screws, sandpaper, and weed-n-feed. Wearing a mask to help protect them seems the least we can do. When you go out you are exposed to a few people, a checkout clerk on a store is exposed to hundreds. With our infection rate around here that all but ensures that they interact with an infectious person every day.

Where I live hardware stores are curb side pickup only.

When your order is ready you drive to a designated parking spot, open your vehicle trunk or hatch, get back in the vehicle and someone loads your purchases in.

At grocery stores, (you’re allowed in, one person per family) and should be wearing a mask...Rod

One of three of my local sources of groceries is just like you suggested rod. Call two weeks ahead “yeah two weeks” they call when they are ready. You drive up pop hatch trunk whatever and they load. Payment is made over the phone.

I have not been to any other brick and mortar store in two months not even a gas station. I have been out to my place of employments shop off hours when nobody is there to pick up materials. I have noticed a mix of people wearing and not wearing masks. Lots of masks though but I’m in Massachusetts and generally it seems we have not lost our minds..

Honestly at this point I’m avoiding at least “dreading” leaving the house as I’m just gonna get pissed off at people not wearing masks. I’m fully expecting to be walking around with my blood boiling for the next 6-12 months..

Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    Where I live hardware stores are curb side pickup only.

When your order is ready you drive to a designated parking spot, open your vehicle trunk or hatch, get back in the vehicle and someone loads your purchases in.

At grocery stores, (you’re allowed in, one person per family) and should be wearing a mask...Rod
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 05-05-2020 at 8:49 AM.

The mask thing is a tough one. I help out at the family biz in the spring, a small retail greenhouse. When we first opened last weekend, I dutifully put on my mask, a cheap nuisance dust one, but the best we have and probably better than a cloth one.

Where I was standing it was around 95 degrees and a bit on humid side. After about a half hour it got very hot to wear. After an hour I was starting to get dizzy. After an hour and a half, I got to where I couldn't even use the adding machine. I gave up and pulled it down long enough to clear my head, and then dutifully put it back on. A half hour after that I realized that my heart was racing and I was getting short of breath. I was starting to get a panic attack; rebreathing the warm humid exhale in the mask triggers a claustrophobia reaction in me, which I know from using masks in woodworking. In woodworking I can deal with it for 20 minutes here or there, but I have never tried to wear a mask all day.

At that point I gave up an just kept it around my neck, putting it back on when I was around obviously high risk people. I'll probably get mask-shamed for this, but I just can't handle wearing a mask for more than about 15-20 minutes; it just triggers panic attacks from claustrophobia in me. I'll wear one when I go to the doctor this week, but that is a high risk situation for me and the people around me.

What I have noticed at the local grocery store, is that last week, nearly al the staff and about two thirds of the customers had masks on. Yesterday, it was closer to a quarter of the staff and about a third of the customers had masks on. It is easy to mask-shame from your house, it is a lot more difficult to wear them all day long when you are not used to them. Even the people wearing them typically have them down below their nose to facilitate breathing. And most people pull them down when talking, which kind of defeats the purpose of wearing them. But at the same time, it can be difficult to understand people while wearing a mask, especially if there is a lot of background noise. My wife has particular difficulty with this, since she has difficulty hearing people with lower frequency voices.

While having everyone wear masks would be ideal, it seems to be difficult to realize in practice.

N95 masks without an exhalation valve help to a degree. Simple cloth masks do not protect anyone from the virus. The bad stuff still gets thru. In both directions. They are a false sense of security. Distance does work.

Phil

Cloth masks will stop the larger spittle and such that carries the virus. No, they aren't perfect, but they help. In an ideal world everyone would have a N95 mask, but we don't even have enough N95 masks for medical workers.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Hine View Post
    Simple cloth masks do not protect anyone from the virus. The bad stuff still gets thru. In both directions. They are a false sense of security.
    Phil
    What are the data to support this assertion? It's contrary to a lot of experience and research on other similar viruses. Yes, viruses can pass through a mask, but many aerosol-size droplets are blocked and they very much help in keeping you from touching your face and transferring virus either direction on your hands. Why would these mechanisms not work for this corona virus?

How would you feel about having your surgeon go unmasked? Surgical masks are similar in performance to a well made cloth mask, they are not N95.