Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Bold Boulder Thieves!!!

that's funny. I've gone thru thousands of those rolls of steel and they would crush a small truck when rolled into the bed LOL
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

Judging by the pic I would guess that is aluminum. We have the heaviest load limits here and can only haul two rolls of steel.

I bought 6 thousand pound rolls of copper once, and they weren't very big. That was in 1991, and copper was 90 cents a pound. The last I checked, it was 10 bucks a pound.

The story about my stolen rocks got partially solved, and ended up being stranger than it sounded to start with. The person who got the stones was someone from across the lake. He is new around here, and someone told him that he owned the land, to go get the rocks for a couple of hundred dollars, and told him how to get here.

This person had just bought a new dumptruck, and Bobcat. He didn't know what he was doing, but did manage to get some rocks.

He was not the person who used the other equipment, including the 320 excavator. Someone else had gotten stuck that same day, on our trails, got the truck, and skid loader stuck trying to get whatever he was stuck in, and went back to get the excavator. We still have no idea who this second person was, but I'm convinced by the story of the new guy who got the rocks that he wasn't the one using the big equipment.

The new guy tried to fix the road to the quarry with his stuff, but he was too new an operator to be able to do it. The guy who owns the other equipment told me he'd fix all the damage, just to stay on my good side. It won't be much trouble for him, and his stuff is still not far away.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 05-12-2020 at 9:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    Sometimes....

A friend and I returned to the truck after cave diving at a spring in Fla to find someone had broken into his truck and taken money from his wallet. Carl had "hidden" his keys in the tailpipe and the guy who took the money put them back when he was done! Carl reported the theft to the local authorities.

Months later: he got money in the mail. The police caught a guy breaking into other vehicles in the same area. The guy confessed. And gave back the money.

BTW, with some recent exceptions, anyone can buy a set of keys that fit any construction equipment. Some get stolen that way. Some owners buy insurance. Some put GPS trackers on their equipment and use a service that sends a text message if the equipment is even moved. When leaving the property for more than a few hours I disable the starting circuit on my new excavator. (It's not a big one but I'm amazed at what it can lift - I used it last week to give a 3000 lb rock to a neighbor.)

JKJ
    A local rental yard had a large generator stolen, the thieves stopped in a nearby Lowe's parking lot & removed the GPS then went on their way.