Thread: MiterSaw Station

Blog Entries

MiterSaw Station

Would it be an absolute cardinal sin to make a MiterSaw station with lockable castors? How long of a section would you build? I am thinking 8 ft left of saw and 4 ft right of saw so it would be a very long station, and would require multiple castors. Your thoughts or should I just consider a permanent solution cabinets on concrete floor? Mobility is not a requirement.

At some point I'll build another miter saw station that I can move around. My first was a flip top with a DW780 on one side and a DW735 below.

I sold the DW735 and the flip top cabinet went with it.

So I built this setup and bring it out when I need it. I didn't bother with any right side fence extension, I just use support rollers for that side.

When not in use, the fence hangs here

I move the saw and place it on a bench or on top of my tables saw

Stops out to 9'

Fence clamps to saw base

Using it on top of my SawStop with my homemade fold out dust hood.

Tim: Are you talking about making a 12ft+ mobile miter saw station?
    Chris: Nice portable miter station by the way. Is it easy to line the fences up?
    Last edited by Ben Helmich; 05-01-2020 at 9:19 PM.

Tim: Reread your post. Seems like non mobile would be better. I had a lumber/plywood cart and got rid of it. I could hardly move it when it was loaded up. I can’t imagine a miter saw station would be easy to move. It also seems like it would stay flatter if it was fixed (if that would even matter.) you cold even use Chris’ current set up, removing it if you wanted another big work area. I like that portable arrangement he has for the miter saw.
    Last edited by Ben Helmich; 05-01-2020 at 9:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Helmich View Post
    Chris: Nice portable miter station by the way. Is it easy to line the fences up?
    I screwed a base on the Miter Saw and have two spring clamps that attach the saw base to the fence. I used Domino to align.

Mobility can be an advantage if you "sometimes" need to process long stock, but generally can function with the setup tucked into tighter space. The best way to accomplish that is with a more modest fixed station that has add-on support for longer cutting operations. Personally, I did away with the fixed miter saw station in my shop to reclaim the space for other things and bought a portable stand for the miter saw. I actually keep it upstairs near my lumber storage since I really only use it for cutting down raw material to shorter lengths the majority of the time, but that's "me" and works with what I have for other tools in my shop.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I considered building a station as well, but bought the Dewalt Portable stand instead. The primary reason being that saw has to be able to go with me at times and the Dewalt allows that. I've taken it to both my daughters homes and the compact mobility/function has been great. I guess if your saw is dedicated to the space the point is moot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben Helmich View Post
    Tim: Are you talking about making a 12ft+ mobile miter saw station?
    Ben, I was and the more I thought about I think I have answered my own question, needs to be fixed and I have the room.

Anybody here have a TigerStop digital fence for their SCMS?

I saw the setup last year and it's very cool, but no way I could justify the expense.

I just used the FastCap Fence Pro on mine. I installed it on drawers I built on top of my base cabinets, with the SCMS on the countertop.

IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

I saw the setup last year and it's very cool, but no way I could justify the expense.

I just used the FastCap Fence Pro on mine. I installed it on drawers I built on top of my base cabinets, with the SCMS on the countertop.

IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    Alan, how does your Festool dust collection work for you? I have an older Bosch SCMS that takes us a lot of front/rear real estate but hard to justify the $2000 for the Kapex. I already have the Festool dust collector.

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Alan, how does your Festool dust collection work for you? I have an older Bosch SCMS that takes us a lot of front/rear real estate but hard to justify the $2000 for the Kapex. I already have the Festool dust collector.
    It works okay. Still have to vacuum around the Kapex after use. I originally planned to have an extension from my cyclone to vacuum around the saw in an enclosure while at the same time using the Festool vac hooked up to the Kapex, but I measured the drawer depth incorrectly, so I gave up on that.

I do like the Kapex, and it may indeed have the best dust collection for a SCMS, but lacking an enclosure, they all will need vacuuming after use.

The larger Festool vacuum hose (the green one) works much better than the smaller diameter hose.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    Would it be an absolute cardinal sin to make a MiterSaw station with lockable castors? How long of a section would you build? I am thinking 8 ft left of saw and 4 ft right of saw so it would be a very long station, and would require multiple castors. Your thoughts or should I just consider a permanent solution cabinets on concrete floor? Mobility is not a requirement.
    Here's my take on a miter station. About 56" each side of the saw. Locking castors(5") work well.

A_miterStation.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post

IMG_3535.jpg
    IMG_3536.jpg
    The shop that I am working at part time has a Saw Gear on their upcut saw and are thinking about buying another one for their other up cut saw. You could easily use one for a miter saw. The Saw Gear is much cheaper than the Tiger Stop. I think the one we have is about $3,700 and that includes the stand and fence setup. The Tiger Stop could easily be $12,000 or more.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Robbinett View Post
    The shop that I am working at part time has a Saw Gear on their upcut saw and are thinking about buying another one for their other up cut saw. You could easily use one for a miter saw. The Saw Gear is much cheaper than the Tiger Stop. I think the one we have is about $3,700 and that includes the stand and fence setup. The Tiger Stop could easily be $12,000 or more.
    I just watched the Saw Gear Youtube video. Pretty cool, but still pricey. But very tempting....

Any issues with it?

The FastCap Fence Pro is nice, but the stop is not designed well, and I have to put two small clamps on it, as it moves when contacted by the wood. Otherwise, the Fence itself is quite nice. It would be tempting to add the Saw Gear to it.

I have two miter saws and two setups. My current and previous shop both had a long bench down a wall with the CMS and an old RAS on top for cross cuts. Current one has flip stops. track is flush so I can use the space for other things easily. I have drawers below where a lot of tools are stored. Works well for me for general shop work but not for trim.

I've completely re-trimmed my house using another saw and setup. It is simple. I just put a 8 foot 2x4 in a shop dog saw horse and screwed a scrap to it in the middle for the saw and outside supports for the trim. I buy trim in 16 or 17 foot sticks but supporting at least 4 foot of it works fine. I can move this as needed. It doesn't have stops so I just cut to pencil marks. I didn't have a lot of repetitive cuts.