Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minimax/Tecnomax CU410 Elite

Question Minimax/Tecnomax CU410 Elite

Hey everyone!

I'm relatively new here in posting, but have been a lurker for quite some time. I've come upon the opportunity to buy the machine in the title, a 2007 SCM Tecnomax CU410 Elite.

Having a smaller shop, it's somewhat a dream to be able to have something this functional in such a small footprint.

Does anyone have any advice on things I should look out for or issues with this model?

Thanks in advance!
    Andrew

That's a top notch machine, I owned a large Minimax sliding table saw and jointer/planer of that same approximate year. I'm assuming it has a Tersa cutterhead, can't say enough good things about how quickly you can change knives or shift them left to right if they become knicked. Very high quality, I'd jump on it if it's a good deal and in good condition.

I'd check all the usual stuff you would on separate machines. I'd check to see if the two jointer tables are reasonably flat and parallel, that the table saw top is reasonably flat, check for vibration, try all the different functions, Etc. Move the planer bed up and down and verify it's smooth and easy. There are probably other posts that go into this in detail. There are ways to measure the alignment of the sliding table, I'm rusty on the details. Some of this is adjustable, although it's not an easy task. Hopefully it is in good alignment like mine was, I didn't need to do any adjustments other than to calibrate the sliding table fence to be perpendicular (easy).

There used to be a Minimax users group on Yahoo but I believe it is no longer, probably moved to another platform. Jim Becker or others may be able to give you some insights.

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Dale View Post
    Hey everyone!

I'm relatively new here in posting, but have been a lurker for quite some time. I've come upon the opportunity to buy the machine in the title, a 2007 SCM Tecnomax CU410 Elite.

Having a smaller shop, it's somewhat a dream to be able to have something this functional in such a small footprint.

Does anyone have any advice on things I should look out for or issues with this model?

Thanks in advance!
    Andrew
    Last edited by Todd Solomon; 05-01-2020 at 10:41 AM.

I currently have a slightly newer Minimax CU 410 Elite S, they literally just returned the name to Minimax from Technomax when this machine was produced. For what you can do with this combo it asks for very little space in your shop. It is built like a tank with the heaviest and largest castings in it's class. The jointer is BRILLIANT, I think that you could practice short takeoffs and landings on it! I lowered the height of the slider over the cast TS table top to make it more useful for many ripping operations. Dust collection is good with the right collector. I run the saw at 3000 RPM and have seen no need yet to increase the speed.

If you feel that your opportunity is within your grasp I would recommend that you go for it. Hopefully you have the mobility kit on your machine, if not I'd order or fabricate one. Best to move it with a forklift and a tilt and load trailer, And I'm not a fan of hiring others...

Let us know if you pull the trigger.

Awesome, top of the line SCM/Minimax combo...why isn't it in your shop already?
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

That's my ultimate goal: to sell my current table saw, minimax J/P, and shaper and get one of those. Go for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Awesome, top of the line SCM/Minimax combo...why isn't it in your shop already?
    Because there hasn’t been one available to a part-timer budget yet! But now there is. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fournier View Post
    I currently have a slightly newer Minimax CU 410 Elite S, they literally just returned the name to Minimax from Technomax when this machine was produced. For what you can do with this combo it asks for very little space in your shop. It is built like a tank with the heaviest and largest castings in it's class. The jointer is BRILLIANT, I think that you could practice short takeoffs and landings on it! I lowered the height of the slider over the cast TS table top to make it more useful for many ripping operations. Dust collection is good with the right collector. I run the saw at 3000 RPM and have seen no need yet to increase the speed.

If you feel that your opportunity is within your grasp I would recommend that you go for it. Hopefully you have the mobility kit on your machine, if not I'd order or fabricate one. Best to move it with a forklift and a tilt and load trailer, And I'm not a fan of hiring others...

Let us know if you pull the trigger.
    I have a ClearVue cyclone that pulls a LOT of air, so that shouldn’t be an issue.

It does have the mobility kit.

As far as moving it, my dad and I are going to figure something out. We moved an old 1930s 12” Oliver jointer just the two of us. I’m sure we can make it work. (Famous last words, right?!)

Thanks for all the info! They are about 6 hours from me, so I’m having them do a quick recording showing functionality and calibration.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    That's my ultimate goal: to sell my current table saw, minimax J/P, and shaper and get one of those. Go for it.
    Selling my table saw and planer will not pain me at all. Selling the old Oliver jointer is another story.

Because there hasn’t been one available to a part-timer budget yet! But now there is. 😁
    um........he meant why isn't that one in your shop.

I think Sam Blasco uses that machine and close to the same vintage. Reach out to him for good insight. Dave

Because there hasn’t been one available to a part-timer budget yet! But now there is. 
    Oh, I meant the one that's currently available. Open your wallet. Fast. Before it disappears...
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Oh, I meant the one that's currently available. Open your wallet. Fast. Before it disappears...

It's happening soon! The seller is about 9 hours from here, so they're going to let me pay them a deposit to secure it until I can make it over there.

"Congrats in advance"...you'll enjoy that machine for sure. Had my shop's physical constraints not precluded a full combo, that's likely what I'd have now. But the S315WS slider (with poor-man's "shaper" setup) and my MM J/P combo did fit.
    --

Well, the seller was nice enough to let me put down a deposit to hold on to it until the end of the month. Unless things really go haywire, I will be heading to pick it up on Memorial Day!

I guess I need to find someone to buy my old 12" Oliver jointer, now!