Thread: Popup Pins

Popup Pins

I have a new-to-me Laguna SmartShop 2 which is equipped with pneumatic locating pins. Since the tops of the pins are threaded, I’m thinking this may be a good way to mount fixturing for different setups. Does anyone do something similar or have some references to share?

Toby

I think the laguna pins are threaded so you can add extensions or different bumpers. You'd have to find your way to allow the pins to remain up while machining as they typically will retract by default. I run with pins up occasionally just for reference but the other thing you want to keep in mind is the pins are usually just the extended rod end of a pneumatic cylinder and are relatively small in diameter and may only be supported by a couple of machine screws through the deck of the machine and into the gland end of the cylinder. This likely wouldnt be a good way to support anything with machining loads applied given the bit of flexure and o-ring seals in the pins but its good for referencing with other means of fixturing to bear the machining loads.