Thread: Lion miter trimmer problem

Lion miter trimmer problem

I picked up a Lion miter trimmer somewhere along the line and finally have a use for it. My shop time these days is mostly in the morning or at night and using power tools wakes up my kids, so I wanted to give the miter trimmer a try for the picture frames I’m making.

It had some surface rust so I took it apart to remove the rust and lube the moving parts. Reassembled it and noticed there is a lot of vertical play in the gear in the back. So much so that when pushing hard with the lever the gear will slip and jump a tooth which messes up the lever alignment, and messes up the miter being cut when it slips. Clearly something is wrong.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why the gear would have so much play, about 1/2”. The gear can’t engage the teeth properly. I though the bear might be worn out and ordered a new one from Grizzly, but it’s basically the same problem.

Anyone have one to check for me or have any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Matt Day; 04-30-2020 at 6:23 PM.

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    I looked at mine, i have maybe 3/32" up/down play. I've never had mine apart, so I can't imagine what the problem is. Try taking the knives out, see it that drops the carriage.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I picked up a Lion miter trimmer somewhere along the line and finally have a use for it. My shop time these days is mostly in the morning or at night and using power tools wakes up my kids, so I wanted to give the miter trimmer a try for the picture frames I’m making.

It had some surface rust so I took it apart to remove the rust and lube the moving parts. Reassembled it and noticed there is a lot of vertical play in the gear in the back. So much so that when pushing hard with the lever the gear will slip and jump a tooth which messes up the lever alignment, and messes up the miter being cut when it slips. Clearly something is wrong.

For the life of me I can’t figure out why the gear would have so much play, about 1/2”. The gear can’t engage the teeth properly. I though the bear might be worn out and ordered a new one from Grizzly, but it’s basically the same problem.

Anyone have one to check for me or have any ideas?
    I have an American made Lion Miter trimmer, and just measured it. I have a strong 1/8" of play and it works perfectly fine. There doesn't appear to be any "make up adjustment" in the blade carrier. As an experiment, as you can see, the circular part of the gear, rides on the horizontal part of the rack gear. Why don't you place a piece of wood, about 1/8" thick on the ride surface, to remove part of the slop, to see if that helps. If it does, then figure out a more permanent fix. Maybe take a piece of brass and JB Weld it to the ride surface?
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Tony, that’s not a bad idea. I’ll give it a shot. Thx

New England, in a town on the way to nowhere
    Mine is the American made Lion trimmer also. If yours is an off shore model, your problem may be a manufacturing defect.

Blog Entries
    My knowledge of this is zilch. My response is in the form of a question.

Is there supposed to be a bushing for the shaft of the gear piece that appears to be moving up and down?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    My knowledge of this is zilch. My response is in the form of a question.

Is there supposed to be a bushing for the shaft of the gear piece that appears to be moving up and down?

jtk
    No bushing or shaft Jim: gear has a slot (seen in OP's original post), to recieve a lever, the user moves fore and aft, traveling on a rack gear beneath the gear, moving the blades back and forth.

Matt: check the following dimensions on your trimmer. The major diameter of the gear (across the largest diameter of the teeth) is 2-7/8". The distance between the horizontal surfaces the round diameter of the gear rides on, is 2-3/16".

I did not try to disassemble my trimmer, but it does not appear to have room to adjust the blade carrier up or down (nor should it, as wear surfaces really do not exist, as this is a manual device).

Mine is American made as well.

I’m not sure what the problem was but the shim appears to have worked well. Smooth back and forth action now with very little, if any, slop. Works excellent now and it’s fun to use.

thanks for the suggestion Tony!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt, I'm glad you resolved the problem with your Lion Trimmer. IMO no saw made can produce the quality miter joints that the Lion Trimmer can.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    Mine is American made as well.

I’m not sure what the problem was but the shim appears to have worked well. Smooth back and forth action now with very little, if any, slop. Works excellent now and it’s fun to use.

thanks for the suggestion Tony!
    I remain puzzled, though at your problem! Is it possible the casting shrank? I don't know! Was the round gear replaced sometime inthe past? Maybe, but as long as it works for you now.

I echo Keith's comment about the surface finish attainable on the unit.
    Last edited by Tony Zaffuto; 05-05-2020 at 5:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Outten View Post
    Matt, I'm glad you resolved the problem with your Lion Trimmer. IMO no saw made can produce the quality miter joints that the Lion Trimmer can.
    I agree Keith! Glass smooth cuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    I remain puzzled, though at your problem! Is it possible the casting shrank? I don't know! Was the round gear replaced sometime inthe past? Maybe, but as long as it works for you .
    I really don’t know. But I did buy it used so I don’t know what happened with its previous owner(s).

I’m happy to have it working well and cleaned up. It’ll be a useful tool in my arsenal.