Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Saving your edges when milling dirty lumber

First choice is carbide tooling, always a brush off as Jim mentions and if there is serious dirt there, as in mud etc. I power was the lumber and set it out to dry for a few days given the weather. I also have a set of old knives for my jointer/planer and can pop those in for a mud run.

Blog Entries
    I use a belt sander if needed. Try it, it works.

"The difference between a man and a boy is the price of his toys."

I keep a little 12" planer set up for dirty wood. I also have a power plane set up with dust collection. The power plane is good for the edges.

Machining sanded wood dulls the cutters.

yes to sanding then machining dulling cutters

I’m surprised by the responses that utilize belt sanding before milling. I would expect the grit from the sander will embed in the wood and dull knives quicker ... whether that is better/worse than the dirt, I don’t know.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

its worse becuase of what it is, if you have sandblasted you know silica is like little tiny stupid tennis balls. Its banned but evne so it was round stuff that blows up on impact. The sharp grits in sand paper are very sharp and you ruse them for sandblasting even after impact, you still have sharp grit. The sander is also pushing what breaks off on the wood with pressure.

My solution, no won't use it.

What about a pressure washer?
    David

I would be a little worried about a pressure washer embedding the dirt deeper into the wood. I'm sure the blade on my table saw isn't going to like the dirt any better than the inserts on my planer. Also a pressure washer could change the moisture content.

Blog Entries
    I wire brush the edges and then plane the edges. I have a jointer, table saw, and a radial arm saw.

Since I learned to use it, I have a long hand plane I use when the mood strikes me.

Thanks. All your responses are worth consideration. As I said originally, the scrub plane did the job but I would not to use that on wider stock. I had previously tried soapy water and a wire brush but could still feel a lot of grit on the surfaces. The pressure washer will be tried on the next batch.

Wouldn't you know it, after all the preparation, the piece bowed when I resawed it across its width. Won't be making any cabinets with that stock. Will have to use it making boxes and other small pieces. The sapele grain and color are wonderful. Just need to downsize expectations, again.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

I brush off with a broom, then if still dirty, take a glue scraper to it. I file the glue scraper to keep it sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hazelwood View Post
    I think this is a good task for a handheld electric planer.

This. Blade are carbide and cheap and will take a lot of abuse.

Blog Entries
    I will run a pad sander over rough dirty lumber.

I got some 6x6 treated that must have been at the bottom of an outdoor pile. It was covered in mud, leaves. I am using it on a screened porch so appearance was important. I got out a little electric pressure washer and gave the wood a thorough wash. I put it in the sun to dry. It looks ok. I am using it.