Thread: Compressor cfm

Compressor cfm

Is there an easy way to determine compressor cfm.i have a 50 year old 2 hp craftsman that still works great.tag is long gone.looking to get spray outfit but I don’t know if I have enough for a hvlp or maybe a lvlp.any thoughts appreciated.

Roughly 3 CFM per horsepower.

You should be able to get close using George's calculation or looking at specs of that compressor or similar compressors online. Most old craftsman have info specs or manuals online.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Thanks George and mike the model and serial number are no longer on the compressor. if 6 cfm is close I will go from there.i tried a google search but nothing I could find without model no.thanks again.

CFM per HP only works if the HP is spec'd is not the "developed" HP. If the compressor runs on 120V a little over 1HP continuous is all you can get.

It is 220 volts.

Your compressor should be good enough to drive an hvlp conversion gun. I used to have a 1.75 horsepower Coleman brand compressor that worked very well with my Wagner pressure feed conversion gun.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Jensen View Post
    CFM per HP only works if the HP is spec'd is not the "developed" HP. If the compressor runs on 120V a little over 1HP continuous is all you can get.
    True about the "Sears" HP. (So named because of the 120 volt "6 HP" Shop Vacs) Common movable 120 volt compressors use about 1.5 HP motors and produce about 4.3 - 4.8 CFM so yeah, about 3 CFM/HP. I image the higher priced better engineered machines are a little more efficient.

Thanks everyone.i feel better making a decision from here.

I have never purchase from these people but hear lot of good things https://homesteadfinishingproducts.com/ they would be able to recommend spray equipment for your compressor.

I've sprayed with this gun via a pancake compressor before: https://www.harborfreight.com/20-oz-hvlp-gravity-feed-air-spray-gun-62300.html
    You can't spray continuous with it but I have sprayed a bookcase before without stopping. I expect your compressor is bigger than the one I used so gauge your needs accordingly.
    PS that gun works great especially for the low price. One thing I'd suggest is get the metal can for it and that makes it complete.

Carroll I actually talked to Jeff at homestead they are local to me .jeff helped me get a lvlp set up .great guy to talk with.