Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is a good dado blade for a Sawstop tablesaw?

What is a good dado blade for a Sawstop tablesaw?

Hello everyone I have the Sawstop 10” industrial cabinet saw. What are a few dado blades you recommend to me. I had the Dewalt model and I messed it up yesterday. Thanks guys, Terry
    Two T's Woodshop

I have the Freud 1/4"-3/8" box joint set and it is wonderful. It's just two blades with offset teeth, so the blade stacked one way cut 1/4", but swap them and you get 3/8"

For wider Dado's I just move my fence if ripping, or adjust the stops on my Incra 1000HD miter gauge for left and right stops if cross cutting and doing more than one piece.

I have the Freud SD608 Dial a width unit as well, but sad to say, I've not had reason to use it.

I use a Forrest Dado King set. I like that it cuts nice, flat bottomed dados. I don't know if it works on a SawStop

I have the 8" Ridge Carbide Dado Master on my SS PCS, and really like it. Comes with 6 various chippers and some copper shims, for around $250.

Ridge Dado.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    I use a Forrest Dado King set. I like that it cuts nice, flat bottomed dados. I don't know if it works on a SawStop
    Yes, the Forrest Dado King works on the SawStop.

Sadly, i have a dado set that is not recommended. I have the Infinity Dadonator. I had bought it before I bought a Sawstop. Sawstop says dados with full disc chippers should not be used. The Dadonator has 6 big teeth per chipper. Infinity on the other hand says the Dadonator can be used. I haven't yet used the dado set on the Sawstop. I have used it on my Unisaw. It is a great set.

I understand that the moment of inertia of the full disk is greater and that there is more rotational energy to be absorbed by the cartridge and more load on the arbor. But Sawstop would have been better to say how much weight could be loaded on the arbor. Most of my dadoes are in the 1/4 in to 1/2 range. This would not seem to be a problem at least with the weight.

Is there anything else going on between Sawstop and Infinity?

Blog Entries
    I run the Freud SD-508 regularly on a 3HP PCS. I also have the DeWalt which works quite well. I am aware that solid plates like some sets (Oshlun) run are too heavy for the safety system to handle correctly per Saw Stop.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I use an FS Tools dado, although not on a sawstop.

Mine does not have full chippers. It does produce a beautiful groove.....Rod.

Recently used the Forrest set for the first time on my SawStop. All went as normal except for the cartridge change which is really simple. The outside blades on the set I used are a little bit larger in diameter and leave little grooves on each side of the dado. I did not care for this result.
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Mills View Post
    I have the 8" Ridge Carbide Dado Master on my SS PCS, and really like it. Comes with 6 various chippers and some copper shims, for around $250.

Ridge Dado.jpg
    That's a good looking cut if it's fresh off the saw.
    earl

I had the Forrest Dado King set in the past. When I got my SawStop, I was looking to buy it again; however, at over $350, I went with the DeWalt set on sale for $90. It works fine for the frequency of use that it gets.

Quote Originally Posted by Lisa Starr View Post
    Yes, indeed it does, it is what I use.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I run the Freud SD-508 regularly on a 3HP PCS. I also have the DeWalt which works quite well. I am aware that solid plates like some sets (Oshlun) run are too heavy for the safety system to handle correctly per Saw Stop.
    It's worse than that (in a way). The SS arbor is not strong enough to withstand the resulting forces when the break stops that much inertia. The blade tips come to a stop alright, but that just transfers the inertia into to a radial force on the arbor, which bends under the stress.

Most disc brakes on automobiles do the same thing (except they are designed properly to handle the axial force without damage). The caliper exerts a tangential force via the disc, which is opposed by the combination of the tangential force via the tire (from the ground) and the axial force on the axle. Of course, your disc brakes will not stop your car nearly as quickly as the SS brake stops the blade!

There was a post here a while back from a SS owner who bent the arbor because of this. Warranty coverage was denied.

Also the mass or weight of the dado set is not the issue; it is the moment of inertia (both mass & how it is distributed over radius from the center of revolution), which is not published for dado sets, so it would be meaningless for SS to specify the maximum moment of inertia.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Another vote for the Forrest Dado King. Expensive, but very nice.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Wilson View Post
    Sadly, i have a dado set that is not recommended. I have the Infinity Dadonator. I had bought it before I bought a Sawstop. Sawstop says dados with full disc chippers should not be used. The Dadonator has 6 big teeth per chipper. Infinity on the other hand says the Dadonator can be used. I haven't yet used the dado set on the Sawstop. I have used it on my Unisaw. It is a great set.

I understand that the moment of inertia of the full disk is greater and that there is more rotational energy to be absorbed by the cartridge and more load on the arbor. But Sawstop would have been better to say how much weight could be loaded on the arbor. Most of my dadoes are in the 1/4 in to 1/2 range. This would not seem to be a problem at least with the weight.

Is there anything else going on between Sawstop and Infinity?
    If you have 6 teeth per chipper that is not a full disc chippers.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.