Thread: Porter Cable 690 routers

Porter Cable 690 routers

Has anyone figured out a good switch replacement for these routers. I have replaced them in the past with factory parts from e replacements.com. They use a very cheap and easily breakable switch on an otherwise great router. So I am looking for a better switch. Ideas ?

Am I the only guy who has had switch problems with PC 690 's ? I once owned a early Rockwell version of this router that had a simple toggle switch instead of the plastic "rocker " style switch in newer ones. That is what I would like to find now.

I have not had any problems with mine however they both are always on with a remote switch. One in a router table and the other on a CNC.
    Michael Dilday
    Suffolk, Va.

Mike, thought the one on my 30+ year old 690 went bad and bought a new one. Can't remember from where so I don't know if it's any better than what you've been getting. I figured out that the switch on my router was fine; the cord had a break in one of the conductors. So I still have the new switch and I'm happy to send it to you. No charge. Send me a PM if interested.

John

I have both the toggle style and a rocker style PC690. Seems like I had to replace one of them but I do not remember which. The speed control went out on the rocker model but I just bypassed it and use the router as a single speed or use a seperate speed control. I don't use either of these routers a lot (light duty stuff gets done by a Bosch Colt) but they do get used. I consider them reliable, including the switch. Sorry the OP is having issues.

I've not heard of 690 switches being problematic, but I have heard there's been trouble with PC variable speed controllers.

Switches are simple, just replace it and don't lose sleep over it.

All of my PC 630 / 690 are so old they all have toggle switches. For those who don't know, the 630 was a 1.0 HP router that came before the 690, which was 1.5 HP.

Blog Entries
    If there is room on the motor cap I would certainly be tempted to drill a hole ad mount something like this.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thanks for the replies. I did some 'research' on youtube and discovered that the older routers have a different design on top where the switch is. the switch that Glenn linked looks interesting. These switches take like 5 minutes tops to replace, I have replaced one switch so far and have one router waiting for a new one at my shop. Also just bought one for $30 that needs a switch. Considering that my little "herd" of 690's now numbers 5 probably not as bad as originally reported. All of my current routers are the made in Mexico models. Great routers,if one can survive 10 plus years on a framing crew cutting out door and window openings they are tough and dependable.